[meteorite-list] Answer: Orissa & Elton

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:43 2004

--part1_1e1.1544cd2d.2d08c8b5_boundary

Hello Meteoritisters,

I tried to respond with a bilingual message in Italian / English, but I gues=
s=20
the list spit it back at me without posting, for whatever reason. =20

In any case, Matteo's question was actually a quite valid observation. Whil=
e=20
I have no meteorite collection, I have visited Orissa, and in particular=20
remember the train ride to the coastal area where the meteorite apparently f=
ell. =20
It is laced with mangroves (trees from brackish wetlands (some salt intrusio=
n)=20
water and it turns out after a quick web search even more frightening. That=
=20
is because the cyclone that hit totally devastated the zone infrastructure.=20=
=20
And wouldn't you guess: the coastal district where the cyclone hit, and the=20
meteorite fell, has a national disaster because its noteable network of=20
irrigation canals have been totally breached (and have completely overflowed=
 onto the=20
lands) by salt water intrusion. So there is now a hunger crisis, agricultur=
al=20
crisis, transportation crisis, and meteor deteoration crisis:) Add that to=20
the fact that the meteorites recovered may even have been washed and scrubbe=
d=20
again to remove the mud in saline tending water by finders, and the problem=20=
is=20
compounded.=20

Here is what the local press have to say about the salinity problems (The=20
Meteorite apparently fell in the Kendrapara district):

Irrigation canals have been breached. The government claims they have been=20
repaired. However, Abdullah Hannan Khan, a marginal peasant in Mahajanpur, a=
=20
village near Cuttack, told Frontline that the water in the canal reached his=
=20
field too late and there was too little of it to meet the needs of his paddy=
 crop.=20
He expected that about half of his crop, due to be harvested in a few days,=20
will be damaged. In some parts of the State, as in Kendrapara district, the=20
soil has become saline because of mas sive inundation of sea water during th=
e=20
cyclone and floods. Here, well irrigation is not a viable option because of=20=
the=20
salinity, explained villagers of Rajnagar block in the district. They=20
complained that villages at the tail-end of the canal systems su ffered beca=
use the=20
canals were not repaired early enough.=20

At Oklipol village in Kendrapara district. As a consequence of inundation=20
caused by cyclone and floods, soil salinity has increased in this area, whic=
h is=20
at the tail-end of a canal system.

Take a look for yourselves at the article from Hindu Times:
<A HREF=3D"http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl1711/17110660.htm">http://www.fro=
ntlineonnet.com/fl1711/17110660.htm</A>

And if you want to see maps of the State and the Kendrapara district (look a=
t=20
that river delta!), here are some links:

<A HREF=3D"http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/orissa/orissa-travel-map.htm">htt=
p://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/orissa/orissa-travel-map.htm</A>

<A HREF=3D"http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/orissa/districts/dist10.htm">http=
://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/orissa/districts/dist10.htm</A>

Hi Elton,=A0 Thanks for giving me the big hand in my meteor-maybes.=A0 You r=
eally=20
are an excellent asset to us aspirng "newbees" on this list.=A0 I saw your=20
reply to Matteo and just wanted to assure you it was a translation failure,=20=
since=20
in Italian "because" and "why" look like each other, as in Tell me why! (Tel=
l=20
me the reason; the "because").=A0 I believe there is a good linguistics list=
=20
somewhere that has more info :)

Therefore:=A0 "So Only why its full of metal and have rain after the fall or=
=20
other?"=A0=20

What Matteo meant was:=A0 "Then, Is the reason only because it is loaded wit=
h=20
metal and it rained after the fall, or {Is it} something else?

Perhaps the Orissans washed the recovered samples he is seeing, soaked them=20
etc., to remove the mud, compounding the problem.

Saludos,=A0 Doug Dawn
M=E9xico

En un mensaje con fecha 12/10/2003 8:16:10 AM Mexico Standard Time,=20
mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it escribe:

> Asunto: [meteorite-list] Question Orissa=20
> Fecha: 12/10/2003 8:16:10 AM Mexico Standard Time
> De: <A HREF=3D"mailto:mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it">mcomemeteorite2000@yaho=
o.it</A>
> Para: <A HREF=3D"mailto:meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com">meteorite-lis=
t_at_meteoritecentral.com</A>
> Enviado por Internet=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Hello
>=20
> Why Orissa, a fresh fall, have sign of rusty in few
> time? Only why its full of metal and have rain after
> the fall or other?
> regards
>=20
> Matteo
>=20

--part1_1e1.1544cd2d.2d08c8b5_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hello Meteoritisters,<BR>
<BR>
I tried to respond with a bilingual message in Italian / English, but I gues=
s the list spit it back at me without posting, for whatever reason.&nbsp; <B=

<BR>
In any case, Matteo's question was actually a quite valid observation.&nbsp;=
 While I have no meteorite collection, I have visited Orissa, and in particu=
lar remember the train ride to the coastal area where the meteorite apparent=
ly fell.&nbsp; It is laced with mangroves (trees from brackish wetlands (som=
e salt intrusion) water and it turns out after a quick web search even more=20=
frightening.&nbsp; That is because the cyclone that hit totally devastated t=
he zone infrastructure.&nbsp; And wouldn't you guess: the coastal district w=
here the cyclone hit, and the meteorite fell, has a national disaster becaus=
e its noteable network of irrigation canals have been totally breached (and=20=
have completely overflowed onto the lands) by salt water intrusion.&nbsp; So=
 there is now a hunger crisis, agricultural crisis, transportation crisis, a=
nd meteor deteoration crisis:)&nbsp; Add that to the fact that the meteorite=
s recovered may even have been washed and scrubbed again to remove the mud i=
n saline tending water by finders, and the problem is compounded. <BR>
<BR>
Here is what the local press have to say about the salinity problems (The Me=
teorite apparently fell in the Kendrapara district):<BR>
<BR>
Irrigation canals have been breached. The government claims they have been r=
epaired. However, Abdullah Hannan Khan, a marginal peasant in Mahajanpur, a=20=
village near Cuttack, told Frontline that the water in the canal reached his=
 field too late and there was too little of it to meet the needs of his padd=
y crop. He expected that about half of his crop, due to be harvested in a fe=
w days, will be damaged. In some parts of the State, as in Kendrapara distri=
ct, the soil has become saline because of mas sive inundation of sea water d=
uring the cyclone and floods. Here, well irrigation is not a viable option b=
ecause of the salinity, explained villagers of Rajnagar block in the distric=
t. They complained that villages at the tail-end of the canal systems su ffe=
red because the canals were not repaired early enough. <BR>
<BR>
At Oklipol village in Kendrapara district. As a consequence of inundation ca=
used by cyclone and floods, soil salinity has increased in this area, which=20=
is at the tail-end of a canal system.<BR>
<BR>
Take a look for yourselves at the article from Hindu Times:<BR>
<A HREF=3D"http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl1711/17110660.htm">http://www.fro=
ntlineonnet.com/fl1711/17110660.htm</A><BR>
<BR>
And if you want to see maps of the State and the Kendrapara district (look a=
t that river delta!), here are some links:<BR>
<BR>
<A HREF=3D"http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/orissa/orissa-travel-map.htm">htt=
p://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/orissa/orissa-travel-map.htm</A><BR>
<BR>
<A HREF=3D"http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/orissa/districts/dist10.htm">http=
://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/orissa/districts/dist10.htm</A><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Hi Elton,=A0 Thanks for giving me the big hand in my meteor-maybes.=A0 You r=
eally are an excellent asset to us aspirng "newbees" on this list.=A0 I saw=20=
your reply to Matteo and just wanted to assure you it was a translation fail=
ure, since in Italian "because" and "why" look like each other, as in Tell m=
e why! (Tell me the reason; the "because").=A0 I believe there is a good lin=
guistics list somewhere that has more info :)<BR>
<BR>
Therefore:=A0 "So Only why its full of metal and have rain after the fall or=
 other?"=A0 <BR>
<BR>
What Matteo meant was:=A0 "Then, Is the reason only because it is loaded wit=
h metal and it rained after the fall, or {Is it} something else?<BR>
<BR>
Perhaps the Orissans washed the recovered samples he is seeing, soaked them=20=
etc., to remove the mud, compounding the problem.<BR>
<BR>
Saludos,=A0 Doug Dawn<BR>
M=E9xico<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
En un mensaje con fecha 12/10/2003 8:16:10 AM Mexico Standard Time, mcomemet=
eorite2000_at_yahoo.it escribe:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Asunto: <B>[meteorite-list] Que=
stion Orissa </B><BR>