[meteorite-list] Top 10 fictituous meteorite names

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:45 2004

My top 10 of fictituous meteorite names. In all cases, the names are
fictituous meteorite names, but existing places on this planet.

1. Langbroek.
For obvious reasons! Langbroek is a small village in the center of the
Netherlands.

2. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
This is a real place, in Anglesey, UK, and it seems to be the longest place
name in the UK. My "Schott's original miscellany" mentions that the name
was invented in the 19th century as a tourist lure. And you thought
"Millbillillie" was a tough one!

3. Sint Nicolaas.
This is a town in Belgium, named after St. Nicholas, where I once had a very
nice Flamish stew but that is not the reason for putting it on #3. On St.
Nicolaas eve (5 December) people in my country and in Belgium give each
other presents, and the kids are told that these have been brought by St.
Nicolaas (or "Sinterklaas"), an old bishop in bishops-dress with a staff and
mitre and a long greay beard, who rides a white horse (yes: this is the
origin of the Anglo-saxon "Santa Claus"). Of course, a meteorite named "Sint
Nicolaas".....would make me the ideal Sint Nicolaas eve present!

4. Rockstone
This is a place in British Guyana. Would make a nice lable.

5. Pebble
One of the Falkland islands. Would also make a nice lable.

6. Black Rock desert (001 to 32167543)
In Nevada. Presumably a lot to be found there. Paradise for Bob V.

7. Stonehenge (fell preferably on June 21st).
Whoever gets this one in his/her collection; prepare for bands of protesting
neo-Druids on your doorstep, who will demand the return of the sacred object
to the holy circle.

8. Mururoa
Would make a very interesting meteorite for isotope studies ;-)

9. International Space Station
Would be good for years of debate whether this would officially classify as
a meteorite, or should "just" be called an asteroid sample instead. A
coveted "hammer" too.

10. Knockmealdown Mts.
A mountain range in Ireland. The ideal place for a small impactor size
hammer!

- Marco

------
Marco Langbroek