[meteorite-list] Dry Lake Grand Tour

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:46 2004

--=====================_3039107==_.ALT

If my memory is correct, those piles of stones on Roach Dry Lake were
created by Paul Gessler while playing his Golf & Gun game and hunting for
meteorites. Ivanpah, the dry lake just to the south of Roach, is the one
most often used for a race track.

Best,
John

At 05:54 AM 12/13/03 -0800, Mark Jackson wrote:
>Rob and List,
>
>I did notice the whole team was getting much better at rejecting the
>pillow lavas at increasing distance as time progressed. The light
>absorbing nature of lava can help but I cautioned the group not to
>wholesale reject non-reflecting black rocks because a brand new crust can
>be dull in appearance; I handed example end cuts of reflecting (wind
>polished?) and non-reflecting crust to each member and encouraged them at
>first to stop often and look at them, even place them on the ground to
>gauge contrast. Eventually they handed them back saying they no longer
>needed them (I never got that comfortable, I still keep mine handy). We
>found we were getting some false returns (just until getting real close)
>from lava with elongated, yet thin vescicles as they reflect light
>differently; almost a shine.
>
>It was rather interesting searching Roach as the locals apparently use it
>as a speed track. To that end, it seems they sweep the track for rocks
>like the Navy used to sweep for FOD (Foreign Objects of Destruction) on
>the flight decks. So we adapted to searching for thier sweep piles to
>examine them for possibles . . . no luck of course but it was fun trying
>(100 mph in a Cavalier wagon with an X-Cargo on top!) . . . we stopped
>traffic on I-15. :-) . . . j/k
>
>Thanks for the good words Rob; you guys set the standard out here and
>reading of your searches and Bob's were a good part of my inspiration for
>attempting it. Thanks!
>

>Mark Jackson
>Chaosity Meteoritics
><mailto:chaositymeteoritics_at_yahoo.com>chaositymeteoritics@yahoo.com
>

>Do you Yahoo!?
><http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21260/*http://photos.yahoo
>.com>New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing

--=====================_3039107==_.ALT

If my memory is correct, those piles of stones on Roach Dry Lake were
created by Paul Gessler while playing his Golf &amp; Gun game and hunting
for meteorites.&nbsp; Ivanpah, the dry lake just to the south of Roach,
is the one most often used for a race track.<br>
Best,<br>
John<br>
At 05:54 AM 12/13/03 -0800, Mark Jackson wrote:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
I did notice the whole team was getting much better at rejecting the
pillow lavas at increasing distance as time progressed. The light
absorbing nature of lava can help but I cautioned the group not to
wholesale reject non-reflecting black rocks because a brand new crust can
be dull in appearance; I handed example end cuts of reflecting (wind
polished?) and non-reflecting crust to each member and encouraged them at
first to stop often and look at them, even place them on the ground to
gauge contrast. Eventually they handed them back saying they no longer
needed them (I never got that comfortable, I still keep mine handy). We
found we were getting some false returns (just until getting real close)
from lava with elongated, yet thin vescicles as they reflect light
differently; almost a shine.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
It was rather interesting searching Roach as the locals apparently use it
as a speed track. To that end, it seems they sweep the track for rocks
like the Navy used to sweep for FOD (Foreign Objects of Destruction) on
the flight decks. So we adapted to searching for thier sweep piles to
examine them for possibles . . . no luck of course but it was fun trying
(100 mph in a Cavalier wagon with an X-Cargo on top!) . . . we stopped
traffic on I-15. :-) . . . j/k<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Thanks for the good words Rob; you guys set the standard out here and
reading of your searches and Bob's were a good part of my inspiration for
attempting it. Thanks!<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>