[meteorite-list] Roach Dry Lake

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:46 2004

Hi John, Mark and List,

And earlier, Mark wrote:

> To that end, it seems they sweep the track for rocks like the Navy
> used to sweep for FOD (Foreign Objects of Destruction) on the flight
> decks. So we adapted to searching for thier sweep piles to examine
> them for possibles . . .

I hope you didn't spend a lot of time looking through those rock
piles at Roach. Some are Nick's, Paul's or Kim's; most are mine.
For a long-term study at a dry lake, I find it best to pick up the
most distracting rocks and periodically leave them in piles -- more
often than not, I add the rocks to piles marking prior meteorite
finds (some mine, some the Gesslers'). This way, no single rock
will waste my time twice. In a given day at Roach, I probably
pick up a couple thousand rocks, piling them up in this manner.
I do the same at pretty much every dry lake I visit, helping not
only myself but anyone else who might hunt there.

As for Ivanpah, the only kind of "racing" going on there is of
unpowered craft (e.g. land surfers). Driving is not permitted on
Ivanpah except along the PVC-pipe marked "road" along the eastern
edge.

Cheers,
Rob