[meteorite-list] Stone cairns on dry lakes

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:47 2004

Three or four years ago, a letter written by H.H. Nininger himself told the
story about the recovery of the Clover Springs, Arizona mesosiderite. In
the letter, he stated that the original finder, a cowboy from Strawberry
and Camp Verde, had marked the location with a rock cairn. During our trips
to the area to hunt form more of the meteorite; Dave Andrews, John Blennert
and I must have found thirty or more cairns. Although we didn't find any
more of the meteorite, it was always exciting to walk through the forest
and come upon one of these stone monuments.

Maybe we'll get luck next time.

Best,
John