[meteorite-list] Dry Lake Stewnfields??

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:48 2004

To Rob, Bob, Adam, and others:

Recent finds from the Nevada dry lakes were grouped in a small area within a
dry lake. The finding of three apparent pieces from same fall created a
description by Adam that these finds might constitute a new strewnfield.

Questions/observations in regards to desert strewnfields.

1. Obvious groupings of fallen masses would make the likelihood of the area
being a meteorite stewnfield. Do multiple finds in desert locale usually get
described as a stewnfield?

2. Does the fact that many rocks get moved around in these environments take
the strewnfield idea down a notch with rocks being scattered?...or does their
proximity within the bounds of normal surface movements qualify them to be
still within the original strewnfield?

3. Is the idea of stating a location has a new strewnfield more about this
location being a new place to find more than one meteorite of the same
apparent fall?...and not so much about the actual fall characteristics?

I guess I'm just curious about the use of word strewnfield in this case?

Yearning to be set straight,

John