[meteorite-list] Dry Lake Stewnfields??

From: Howard Wu <freewu2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:48 2004

--0-448738511-1071596125=:32875

How meteorites where first found in Antartica:

Did you mention that lots of antartic is covered with ice two miles deep so that if your driving around in your snow mobile and hear a "thump..thump" cause you hit a rock, you've found a meteorite fallen from the sky.

Howard Wu

"E. L. Jones" <jonee_at_epix.net> wrote:
The short answer is-- like everywhere else, they have been accumulating
over time but they've been in deep freeze for eons and there have been
no meteorite list members there to pick them up--well actually there
have been some meteorite list members there picking them up but that is
another story.

Magnetism has nothing to do with concentrating meteorite falls. I can
see where one might make that inference. Meteorites are found in
Antarctica because, in several places, the flowing ice gets thrust up
hill over a mountain ridge like a push-up popcicle. There the ice is
ablated/scoured away by the wind. This leaves anything that has fallen
into the ice left, or churned up by the ice lying on the surface.
Meteorites and other rocks lie atop of the ice formation they were
formerly buried in. Against the white background they are easier for
researchers to find. I say this to make the point that not everything
on the ice is a meteorite.

More meteorites may be"found" there but there is no evidence that more
meteorites "fall" there.

Elton

meteoriteshow wrote:

> Hi Doug and List,
>
> I also wonder about another point on meteorite falls... Since I
> started hunting them, I thought that they can fall anywhere, the
> location of their landing place depending on their orbit around the
> sun and the angle they meet the Earth with. Is that right or are there
> any areas on our planet where they get more "attracted" ?
> There have been more finds in Antarctic than anywhere else, but I
> guess that it's simply because people have been searching for them
> there for a longer time, but can it be for another reason ? Has the
> magnetic field linking the poles any effect (like for boreal auroras)
> ? ...
> I'm not a scientist and maybe my question sounds strange, but should
> anybody have a clear and easy to understand explanation, thanks in
> advance for sending it, just for my knowledge.
> Kind regards
>
> Frederic Beroud
> www.meteoriteshow.com
> IMCA #2491

---------------------------------
   BT Yahoo! Broadband - Save £80 when you order online today. Hurry! Offer ends 21st December 2003. The way the internet was meant to be.
--0-448738511-1071596125=:32875

<DIV>How meteorites where first found in Antartica:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Did you mention that lots of antartic is covered with ice two miles deep so that if your driving around in your snow mobile&nbsp;and hear a "thump..thump" cause you hit a rock, you've found a meteorite fallen from the sky.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Howard Wu<BR><BR><B><I>"E. L. Jones" &lt;jonee_at_epix.net&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">The short answer is-- like everywhere else, they have been accumulating <BR>over time but they've been in deep freeze for eons and there have been <BR>no meteorite list members there to pick them up--well actually there <BR>have been some meteorite list members there picking them up but that is <BR>another story.<BR><BR>Magnetism has nothing to do with concentrating meteorite falls. I can <BR>see where one might make that inference. Meteorites are found in <BR>Antarctica because, in several places, the flowing ice gets thrust up <BR>hill over a mountain ridge like a push-up popcicle. There the ice is <BR>ablated/scoured away by the wind. This leaves anything that has fallen <BR>into the ice left, or churned up by the ice lying on the surface. <BR>Meteorites and other rocks lie atop of the ice formation they were <BR>formerly buried in. Against the white background they are easier for
 <BR>researchers to find. I say this to make the point that not everything <BR>on the ice is a meteorite.<BR><BR>More meteorites may be"found" there but there is no evidence that more <BR>meteorites "fall" there.<BR><BR>Elton<BR><BR>meteoriteshow wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; Hi Doug and List,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I also wonder about another point on meteorite falls... Since I <BR>&gt; started hunting them, I thought that they can fall anywhere, the <BR>&gt; location of their landing place depending on their orbit around the <BR>&gt; sun and the angle they meet the Earth with. Is that right or are there <BR>&gt; any areas on our planet where they get more "attracted" ?<BR>&gt; There have been more finds in Antarctic than anywhere else, but I <BR>&gt; guess that it's simply because people have been searching for them <BR>&gt; there for a longer time, but can it be for another reason ? Has the <BR>&gt; magnetic field linking the poles any effect (like for boreal auroras) <BR>&gt; ? ...<BR>&gt; I'm
--0-448738511-1071596125=:32875--