[meteorite-list] NP Article, 10-1958 Moon Meteorites, Nininger

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:01 2004

------=_NextPart_001_007A_01C3C61D.7C2979B0

Paper: Herald Press =20
City: Saint Joseph, Michigan =20
Date: Thursday, October 30, 1958

By Rex Stanley
Written Especially for Central Press and This Newspaper

If an American or Russian space rocket hits the Moon with a nuclear warhe=
ad, the explosion will blast lose tons of lunar surface and send blazing =
bombardment of meteors against the Earth.
Some of these huge chunks of Moon rock will burn to nothing as the streak=
 through our atmosphere. However, the biggest pieces may survive the long=
 space drop and smash to Earth with the force of atom bombs. Terrible dea=
th and destruction could occur in populated areas.
The reasoning, based on known arguments being used by world-recognized sc=
ientists against any attempt to hit the Moon with an explosion.

Tremendous Danger

Men like Dr. H. H. Nininger, director of the American Meteorite museum in=
 Arizona, flatly warn that "a lunar surface explosion can rip loose a gre=
at meteor "attack" against the Earth, unprecedented in history and tremen=
dously dangerous."
According to Dr. Nininger, an explosive Moon shot could send down meteors=
 seen larger thant he massive "shooting star" that struck Siberia in 1908=
 and leveled everything for 30 miles. Or bigger than the 50,000-ton chunk=
 that gouged an Arizona crater in prehistoric times - half a mile in diam=
eter and 700 feet deep.
Most scientists agree that a nuclear blast on the Moon will tear out tons=
 of lunar material. The light gravity field, only one-sixth that of the E=
art, won't hold the debris to the Moon.

Foresee "Avalanche"

An "avalanche" of rock, soild and dust will be blown into space at untra-=
sonic speeds, caught by the Earth's gravitational field, then litterally =
hurled through our atmosphere toward the ground.
The interval between the actual lunar explosion and the Earth bombardment=
 - separated by 233,000 miles - might be several days time.
"No matter how important to our prestige a 'Moon shot' may be," warns Dr.=
 Nininger, "proving it with an impact and nuclear explosion could bring d=
isaster against which have no defense."

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_007A_01C3C61D.7C2979B0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>Paper: Herald Press </P> <P>City: Saint Joseph, Michigan </P> <P>Da=
te: Thursday, October 30, 1958</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>By Rex Stanley</P=
> <P>Written Especially for Central Press and This Newspaper</P> <P>&nbsp=
;</P> <P>If an American or Russian space rocket hits the Moon with a nucl=
ear warhead, the explosion will blast lose tons of lunar surface and send=
 blazing bombardment of meteors against the Earth.</P> <P>Some of these h=
uge chunks of Moon rock will burn to nothing as the streak through our at=
mosphere. However, the biggest pieces may survive the long space drop and=
 smash to Earth with the force of atom bombs. Terrible death and destruct=
ion could occur in populated areas.</P> <P>The reasoning, based on known =
arguments being used by world-recognized scientists against any attempt t=
o hit the Moon with an explosion.</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Tremendous Danger<=
/P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Men like Dr. H. H. Nininger, director of the America=
n Meteorite museum in Arizona, flatly warn that "a lunar surface explosio=
n can rip loose a great meteor "attack" against the Earth, unprecedented =
in history and tremendously dangerous."</P> <P>According to Dr. Nininger,=
 an explosive Moon shot could send down meteors seen larger thant he mass=
ive "shooting star" that struck Siberia in 1908 and leveled everything fo=
r 30 miles. Or bigger than the 50,000-ton chunk that gouged an Arizona cr=
ater in prehistoric times - half a mile in diameter and 700 feet deep.</P=
> <P>Most scientists agree that a nuclear blast on the Moon will tear out=
 tons of lunar material. The light gravity field, only one-sixth that of =
the Eart, won't hold the debris to the Moon.</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Foresee=
 "Avalanche"</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>An "avalanche" of rock, soild and dust =
will be blown into space at untra-sonic speeds, caught by the Earth's gra=
vitational field, then litterally hurled through our atmosphere toward th=
e ground.</P> <P>The interval between the actual lunar explosion and the =
Earth bombardment - separated by 233,000 miles - might be several days ti=
me.</P> <P>"No matter how important to our prestige a 'Moon shot' may be,=
" warns Dr. Nininger, "proving it with an impact and nuclear explosion co=
uld bring disaster against which have no defense."</P></FONT><BR><BR>Plea=
se visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and=
 meteorite articles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_007A_01C3C61D.7C2979B0--