[meteorite-list] NP Article, 10-1958 Moon Meteorites, Nininger

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:02 2004

Nuke the moon George, or was that Shoot the Moon?

You have wonder what stopped them from doing it in those days? Nininger??

For me just living in the state of Pennsylvania most of my life has exposed
me to devastating pollution of lakes, rivers, and streams. Mine pollution of
all types was bad. The thick black smoke from the steel towns of Pittsburgh,
Johnstown and Bethlehem was incredible in my early years and much worse
decades before. Industries impact on air and water was bad.

The damage from strip mining the surface for coal was extremely abusive in
its day...the scars from it are deep and abundant to this day. We have small
mountains of junk coal and culm that we have just now begun to burn and make
ash. It will take a few decades I'm sure.

On a bigger front in those days was the nuclear threat, the cold war huffing
and puffing...to me the urge to show off and blast the moon must have been
strong for many. What a dumb move that would have been. No dumber than the
stuff I mentioned above. While my grandpa was alive I always wanted to ask
him "what the hell was his generation, and his father's generation thinking
when they started doing all this?" I never did ask. I wonder what some kid
will ask me along those lines one day?

The air is better now, the waters are better, the coal stripping is less
abusive and nuclear threats are lessened...but it could be better still.

With all that said...it is a wonder they didn't do it. If so, then Lunar
space rocks would be as abundant as non classified NWA's at $0.10/g

"Your classification is in Tom, it is just junk from the moon...it is
everywhere you know."

John