[meteorite-list] NPA 10-1941 Meteors Blaze Across Nevada

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:02 2004

------=_NextPart_001_000D_01C3C7AE.0D173ED0

Title: Reno Evening Gazette =20
City: Reno, Nevada =20
Date: Monday, October 06, 1941 =20
Page: 8

Astronomers Interested in Meteors Which Blazed Across Sky of Nevada
Three blazing meteors which streaked across the Black Rock desert of the =
northwestern Nevada last summer have aroused the interest of Nevada amate=
ur astronomers. All were unusually large; all passed in the same directio=
n.
If traces of them can be found, an addition will be made to the small num=
ber of recorded meteorites found in the state, it was explained by Dr. Vi=
ncent P. Gianelle, professor of geology at the University of Nevada, at a=
 recent meeting of the Astronomical Society of Nevada on the U. of N. cam=
pus.
In the 125 years that meteorite falls have been recorded throughout the w=
orld, only three have been found in Nevada.
Largest is the Quinn river meteorite, which was found in 1908. Weighing 3=
160 pounds, this strange mass of iron and other heavy metals is now in th=
e Chicago Field Museum.
In 1938 a meteorite, weighing over 10 pounds was found in the Quartz Moun=
tains of Nye county by a prospector named Jack Waldrous. He presented his=
 find to the Mackay School of Mines of the University of Nevada where it =
is now on display.
Nevada's third meteorite, a 50-pound chunk, was found near Las Vegas in 1=
940. It was given to the United States National Museum in Washington, D.C=

Many other reported Nevada "meteorites" have been proven to be ordinary t=
errestrial materials, such as lumps of slag from old and forgotten smelte=
rs, said Professor Gianella.
The difference between a meteor and a meteorite was explained by John L. =
Carison, a Reno High School instructor and University of Nevada graduate,=
 who also spoke at the meeting.
A meteor is the commonly known "shooting star" and it becomes a meteorite=
 only if it actually strikes the earth, he pointed out.
With the estimated one million meteors bombarding the earth's atmospheric=
 blanket every 24 hours, people often wonder why more death and destructi=
on is not caused by them.
The answer, said Carlson, is that all but a few burn up before they reach=
 the ground because of the intense friction caused by their rush through =
the air. In other words, few meteors become meteorites.
Since meteorite recording began, there have been only 499 known falls in =
the United States and only 1392 in the entire world.
Undoubtedly many more than the three known meteorites have fallen in the =
state, said Dr. Gianella, but unless they are actually seen to strike the=
 ground it is exceedingly difficult to locate them, especially in Nevada,=
 where "one rock makes more or less little difference."

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_000D_01C3C7AE.0D173ED0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>Title: Reno Evening Gazette </P> <P>City: Reno, Nevada </P> <P>Date=
: Monday, October 06, 1941</B> </P><B> <P>Page: 8</P> <P>&nbsp;</P></B> <=
P>Astronomers Interested in Meteors Which Blazed Across Sky of Nevada</P>=
 <P></P> <P>Three blazing meteors which streaked across the Black Rock de=
sert of the northwestern Nevada last summer have aroused the interest of =
Nevada amateur astronomers. All were unusually large; all passed in the s=
ame direction.</P> <P>If traces of them can be found, an addition will be=
 made to the small number of recorded meteorites found in the state, it w=
as explained by Dr. Vincent P. Gianelle, professor of geology at the Univ=
ersity of Nevada, at a recent meeting of the Astronomical Society of Neva=
da on the U. of N. campus.</P> <P>In the 125 years that meteorite falls h=
ave been recorded throughout the world, only three have been found in Nev=
ada.</P> <P>Largest is the Quinn river meteorite, which was found in 1908=
 Weighing 3160 pounds, this strange mass of iron and other heavy metals =
is now in the Chicago Field Museum.</P> <P>In 1938 a meteorite, weighing =
over 10 pounds was found in the Quartz Mountains of Nye county by a prosp=
ector named Jack Waldrous. He presented his find to the Mackay School of =
Mines of the University of Nevada where it is now on display.</P> <P>Neva=
da's third meteorite, a 50-pound chunk, was found near Las Vegas in 1940.=
 It was given to the United States National Museum in Washington, D.C.</P=
> <P>Many other reported Nevada "meteorites" have been proven to be ordin=
ary terrestrial materials, such as lumps of slag from old and forgotten s=
melters, said Professor Gianella.</P> <P>The difference between a meteor =
and a meteorite was explained by John L. Carison, a Reno High School inst=
ructor and University of Nevada graduate, who also spoke at the meeting.<=
/P> <P>A meteor is the commonly known "shooting star" and it becomes a me=
teorite only if it actually strikes the earth, he pointed out.</P> <P>Wit=
h the estimated one million meteors bombarding the earth's atmospheric bl=
anket every 24 hours, people often wonder why more death and destruction =
is not caused by them.</P> <P>The answer, said Carlson, is that all but a=
 few burn up before they reach the ground because of the intense friction=
 caused by their rush through the air. In other words, few meteors become=
 meteorites.</P> <P>Since meteorite recording began, there have been only=
 499 known falls in the United States and only 1392 in the entire world.<=
/P> <P>Undoubtedly many more than the three known meteorites have fallen =
in the state, said Dr. Gianella, but unless they are actually seen to str=
ike the ground it is exceedingly difficult to locate them, especially in =
Nevada, where "one rock makes more or less little difference."</P></FONT>=
<BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive o=
f meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_000D_01C3C7AE.0D173ED0--