[meteorite-list] What does Shock Stage 6 look like?

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:04 2004

Hello all,

I'm looking at a few slices of some unclassified NWA meteorites sent to me
from another list member to help him try to identify a few, and one of them
has a very strange makeup to it. It is a meteorite first off. Nice fusion
crust is evident on the back of this end piece. Not much weathering...a bit
of a stained rind but hardly noticeable.

It is a chondrite or related because it has a few distinct black porophrytic
chondrules...but the rest of the matrix is igneous looking filled with long
lathes of lighter glass which is darkened by other minerals that must include
magnetite. No metal is evident, but it is paramagnetic...not strong but more
than most LL's for sure. No veins or shock lines are evident.

If had not seen chondrules I would be sure it was a planetary basalt or
similar. What is it?

Could this be a highly shocked and blackened L6 or LL6, or maybe more like
the same for a CK6. Or maybe something new...another primitive chondrite/or
some kind of transitional material that it unique?

The lack of metal visually along with it's decent paramagnetism is strange.

As I said in my subject line "What does a shock stage 6 look like?"

I'll add one more "Has anyone seen a chondrite with an igneous looking
texture?" I would love to thin section this baby. It is so strange.

John