[meteorite-list] Bizarre Stone Found in the Sahara

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:04 2004

Dear Charles and List Members,

Sorry about turning this stone into a mystery but none of our team members
or the field scientist can identify what class of meteorite this odd stone
will fall into, if any. Dr. Irving is coming by today to certify the weight
of this meteorite and to remove a type specimen for study. We will be able
to give more details and pictures after the meteorite is cut and team
members are offered a first glance at the images. All of our observations
so far have been made by examining a broken surface under a microscope.

A few interesting observations are that:

It is oriented
It has flow lines on the exterior
It has an extremely thin black fusion crust
It is a fragmental breccia
It is vesiculated
It has no metal
It is an achondrite
It contains small gem quality crystals of various habits and color
throughout the matrix
and several other odd features

Like we said, we have no idea what class this will fall into.

All the best,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185

Hi Adam and team,

Congrats on your successful trip.

>We can not even try to describe one of the meteorites because it is so
>bizarre, smells like another contest!

Hoping you publish a picture of this soon so everyone can take a stab at
it. It should be fun, and great new content for the list.

Regards,
CharlyV