[meteorite-list] Breaking News - Space Shuttle Columbia

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:24 2004

In my haste to type and send this message to the List before leaving for
Tucson this morning, deja vu must have affected me. The original message
should read "the Columbia is gone."

It appears that the space shuttle Challenger is gone. While on it's glide
approach for landing this morning, it disappeared from radar and all
communications were lost at an altitude of about 200,000 feet. People in
the northeast section of Texas, about 100 miles north of Dallas, have
reported hearing explosions loud enough to rattle windows in houses.

A few moments ago, footage was show on one of the national news channels of
what appears to be the Challenge breaking up in the upper atmosphere with
several distinct smoke trails visible.

More information will become available throughout the morning.

Regretfully,

John Gwilliam