[meteorite-list] Credit Card-Sized Fragment Of Columbia Found In California?

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:25 2004

Hi Ron and List,

We've been having this discussion all day on Seesat-L. Forget
Joshua Tree, CA -- it cannot happen. Here's how I explained it
to someone earlier today:

"... in order for the debris to have any chance of traveling in
the correct direction, it would have to have come off while
Columbia was still over the western Pacific. But if a tile
(or something else with a high drag coefficient) came off at
this point, it would still have travelled ballistically along
with the Shuttle since the altitude at this point was over
50 miles. There's practically no atmosphere to speak of,
and you're still well above the jet stream. By the time
the debris has dropped low enough to experience significant
differential drag, it's already over western Nevada.

"Joshua Tree is not far from Twentynine Palms, CA, home to a
large military base. I think it's much more likely that if
any debris did drop out of the sky on someone's driveway in
Joshua Tree, it's associated with that base."

--Rob