[meteorite-list] Re: Debris Found In Joshua Tree May Be From Columbia

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:25 2004

I really doubt this piece is from a camera from the shuttle. A
fragment found this far west would have to be something
on the outside of the shuttle, such as a tile, panel or
underlying skin. As far as I know, there is no camera
mounted on the outside of the shuttle. When one report
described the fragment as a film, that was more in line with
matching something like the insulating skin of the shuttle.
However, I don't want to discount just yet that this
piece is from the shuttle, despite Rob's objections.

I agree though, with Rob's assessment that any shuttle
debris found in California, would most likely have
separated from the shuttle when it was over the Pacific.
The news on the Air Force photos of the damaged left
wing, opens up the possibility that debris could be falling
off just as soon as the shuttle entered the atmosphere
over the Pacific. At the NASA press conference this morning,
it was confirmed that a piece of the leading edge of the
left wing was recovered in the Ft. Worth area in Texas.
This piece in Ft. Worth is the farthest west of any
confirmed shuttle debris, thus far.

Ron Baalke