[meteorite-list] A Metallic Asteroid May Have Coincided With The Fall Of Rome

From: rochette <rochette_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:26 2004

Dear Sterling

thanks for your in depth historical discussion. I agree that the historical
record is not so plain, and that the epoch was not the one of Plinius or
Ciceron.
However as we talk about St Augustine, if he was writing after the
"impact"(I did not check the dates, anyhow the dating of the Sirente
"crater" rim has an error bar also), then mentionning it would have been a
very poweful argument for his thesis: the destruction of Roma is the will
of God...
I just want to precise following your question "" This
implies excavation. Do cows excavate?", that I agree there is evidence for
excavation but I wrote " shepherds simply dig them as a reservoir or
wells". Of course this is a suggestion, I have no evidence, but I would say
it fits better the sum of "evidences" in Ormo et al. paper.

Pierre