[meteorite-list] Tucson 2003 Show Report

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:26 2004

Tuscon 2003 Show Report

By Mark Bostick

I am always worried about flying with meteorites. My solution on going to
Tucson this year was to pack very little meteorites. Buying is much more
enjoyable then selling anyway. Leaving through Wichita, Kansas I had little
worries. The last year or so has taught me it is the larger airports that
seem to be more of hassle. After being stopped for 25 minutes and setting
the alarm off 3 times I now have to rethink this theory. Since I did set off
three alarms, I was informed that the airline now had the option of not
letting me fly and that they would search my other baggage as well. I had
just purchased some overpriced but cute little Masterlocks, so I gave one of
the airport security people a key and asked that they do not break the lock.
Minutes later he came back and told me that it was too late, they had
already broken the lock, slightly frustrated and annoyed I was then cleared
and made my way towards my departing gate.

I would fly out Wednesday and arrive early Thursday. After making a few
appointments I would have time to make it to Jim Kriegh and Twink Monrad
party. Or at least that is how the plans went in my head. Their party was
kind of early and sadly I did not make it. I really enjoyed the year before.
That year, they had great food, and company. After Tucson last year I went
south of the border for a short visit to Mexico and therefore they gave me
my last real meal for a couple weeks. One of the highlights I remember well
at the Kriegh-Monrad party was eating at a table with the Labenne's and
having Robert Hag come up and talk about their then recent lunar finds. I
invited Hag to set down and listened while they talked moon rocks. This was
a conversation I felt way outclassed in and had nothing to add. (Hey, I've
purchased a few....does that count?). Next year I will try to come in
earlier and not miss this friendly event.

The day ended quickly but I did manage to pick up a few items. A 464g full
slice of Two-Dot, a complete slice of the Lunar DAG461 (0.728g), a large and
heavy box of coral fossils and few other small items. Shared a couple beers
with Marvin Kilgore, met with a few of the non-meteorite sellers I got to
know the year before while selling, but the day ended quickly and I would
soon have to make it back to my room for my last real night of sleep in
Tucson.

Rosie Hackney, would arrive in the middle of the night and we would soon be
joined by Jason Phillips. Even the flea bag hotels are close to $100 a night
during the show time and many people share rooms and rides to limit our
cost. So me and Rosie started the day by trying to find a Denny's or the
like for breakfast. After much search we retreated to the interstate and an
IHOP (Thats "International House of Pancakes" for those of you not here in
the states.)

Friday I spent a lot time at the Inn Suites. Meeting Anne Black, Fred Hall,
Fred Olson, Richard and Dorothy Norton (who along with Twink Monrad were
kind enough to ask and notice that I missed the dinner the night before),
Mike Jensen (who was helping out with the Pitt auction), David Weir, Nelson
Oaks, Geoff Notkin, Steve Arnold....both of them and a few others.

I even witnessed the first meeting of the two Steve Arnolds. Amazingly, not
only did the world not end, I do not think it even effected the earth's
gravity. Of course I will be watching global news reports to verify this
uneventful clash of names.
Paul Harris and Jim Tobin could also be found here at the Inn Suites and
carried with them a couple of the best looking button australites I have
ever seen, perhaps they will be future Tektites of the Month and you, my
fellow list members can see the great shape these tektites have.

Marvin Kilgore had some of the best displays I have seen and some of the
best meteorite examples to go in them. The highlight to his room this year
was however his collection book. Which I can honestly say is the best
collection book I have ever seen. Hardbound, with nice color photos, at
$55.00 it is a great bargain. In fact they were so good he had sold out of
his first shipment before I got there.....:-( After looking through his book
on hand it only took me a few minutes to decide I wanted one. But fear not,
a new shipment is due the 15th so do yourself a favor and order one. Kilgore
was mostly by himself which makes me wonder.....how did you ever get those
very large display cases there and set up?
Friday night was the Birthday Bash, Me and Rosie, now with our other
Roommate Jason Phillips made it a little late. There was one table with
three chairs left so we sat down with Steve Arnold (of Chicago) and I made
my way to the bar for a drink. Here I was met with a challenge. Getting a
drink and making it back to the table, while socializingand not coming back
to the table with an empty drink. After a few attempts at this I managed to
get a waiter to bring me two drinks.

The Birthday Bash is always fun and this year was no exception. One of the
highlights of this event is the Harvey Awards. This year I even managed to
win. Granted they auctioned one off in an effort to buy drinks for the award
winners and that was the one I won. I always attempt to help or promote the
different events in Denver and Tucson if I can, as it is these events that
pull us together. Winning the Harvey award, a plastic cube with a baby
Toluca on top, also got myself a drink and with the Harvey Award, a great
souvenir of Tucson. Perhaps in the future I will really win one and one of
you will buy me a drink in return. Although, feel free to by me a drink
even if I never get awarded one.

One of the soon to be "classic" moments of the Birthday Bash was the many
announcements made by Steve Arnold (the broker) not so much from Steve
Arnold (Chicago). The first was "Steve Arnold from Chicago is look for
Honolulu meteorites.", the came "Steve Arnold from Chicago has found his
Honolulu meteorites for $100.00 a gram", the "Steve Arnold from Chicago is
selling his Honolulu meteorite for $200.00 a gram." followed by "Steve
Arnold from Chicago is willing to trade his Honolulu meteorite for Nevada
meteorites.", followed by...okay I think you get the point. It was
entertaining and pleasant event and enjoyed by all. Thank you Steve Arnold
(from Chicago) for being a good sport. Also thanks to Steve Arnold
(Meteorite broker) and Geoff Notkin for putting on the event. It was enjoyed
by all.

After the dinner a few of us got together for more drinks in one of the
Hupe/Lang rooms. After finishing the keg there, the canned beer there, and
attacking a few bottles of Lang's wine (Thanks Allen), light told us it was
now daytime and therefore we better lay down before any sleep was
impossible. All the rooms are always packed during these events and rather
then make it back to my room, they were kind enough to let me crash by the
doorway, hoping it would not get opened in the middle of the night, and
therefore hit me head. It didn't.

Erich Heider's room was at the Pablo Inn. Formallyy the Four Points, and
before that one or two other names. (They like changing names in Tucson to
confuse outer towner's). Erich and Sylvia have always been one of the
friendliest sellers. Always willing to offer drinks to guest and often
selling many meteorites at a well below "retail" (if there is such thing in
the meteorite world anymore). Here I purchased a full slice of Martian
DAG975 (0.901g) and a 52g etched Taza. The price on the Taza....a little
over $2.00 a gram. It was an end cut but very thin and just a little over a
the thickness of a regular slice. I was glad to add an etched Taza at a good
price (finally) and I could always use another full (even though small)
martian slice to the collection.

Paul Liu could also be found at the Pablo Inn. The same spot as last year
and as he mentioned to the list. "Right in front of the main entrance". I
saw him there last year and somehow could not find him too easy. Strangely,
he was RIGHT in front of the main entrance. Paul is a great guy, if you ever
see him in Denver or Tucson (always outside) say hello. He is the chinese
guy in the baseball cap, which should somewhat narrow it down for the 1000's
of sellers...and if you can pay attention to small details like "right in
front" you should have no problem finding him. (Hello Paul).

There were many people "suit casing" the show, as rooms are high and keep
you stuck in one place. One of them was Steve Arnold (the meteorite broker).
Steve always carries around a large case of meteorites, this year he was
carrying two. (But his arms hurt about right now). From Steve Arnold I
managed three thin sections, A DAG734 (EL4), Pena Blanca Spring (Aubrite),
and a Camel Dongo (Eucrite). All three for the price of $150.00. A bargain
considering the DAG734 looks like it took 1g of meteorite to make (which has
retail at $140 a gram).

The Michael Blood auction was (in my opinion) the best place to find
bargains. Since I was helping Michael I did not have the chance to record
prices, but perhaps Michael or someone else would be kind enough to post
prices. I did pick up a few things. One of Anne Black's Libyan Glass/Gold
pendants for $30.00, a 3.18g DAG734 EL4 for a low ~$85.00 (to go with my
thin section I purchased from Steve Arnold the day before), the 80g lot of
Taza for $100.00, a case of 150 2003 meteorite calendars for $110.00 with
shipping (can you say calendar sale), and my more favorite from the lot,
well that I purchased, a 36.8g Homestead slice for $135?...if I remember
right. Bill Jensen and Rex Kelsey played the role of Beermeister and their
help was greatly appreciated. I did not get one beer with a head....that's a
topping of beer foam for you non-drinkers. Greg and Adam Hupe entered some
of the best specimens and took the low market very nicely. (Thanks for
sharing your meteorites at almost give away prices). Michael Blood's quiet
friend, Cecil Caufield helped me and Rosemary Hackney assist Michael during
the event. I have always tried to be supportive in anyway I can to the show
events as I really feel it pulls us all together.

A noticed a appreciated salute goes to Daryl Pitt. Who not only attended
Michael's auction, but purchased a piece and came up to Michael with kind
words and a hand shake. A great show of character from a nice guy. While it
may seem at times that we like to fight and argue on the list, when we are
at the shows the drinks are plentiful and friendship is obvious. WAY TO GO
DARYL!!! (and please keep us updated on Steve Schooner).

I flew out pretty early on sunday and did not have the chance to hang around
the Pitt auction much, but I did manage to pick up one item, the 44.8g Oued
El Hadjar end cut for I forgot price....very fair. That's the alter
sacrificed stone. Sadly my plane would be leaving early in the day and I
feared a long wait at the airport, while they questioned each meteorite for
its possible weapon usage. So I had to leave the auction early. While the
item I was most interested in went above my pre-bid, and my on-sight bid
(wasn't sure if I would be there for it), I did manage a nice meteorite at a
good price.

Other people I enjoyed meeting not mentioned above, and please grant me some
slack if I leave out your name would be, Steve Drummond, Howard Wu, Eduardo
and Oscar (meteorites.com), The Saharan Overlord people, various mineral
dealers met previously, Eric Cane (a wire-wrapper who worked on some jewelry
for me), the blond I met at the Pueblo Inn poolside, who is most likely not
a list member, but if you are e-mail me....:-), Eric Olsen (although he was
pretty much too busy to talk), various Denver Meteorite club members, Jim
Kriegh, Twink Monrad, John Gwilliam, Matt Morgan, Michael Farmer, Jim
Strope, Michael Cottingham, David Freeman, and also thanks to whoever made
my omlette at the Best Western.....mmmm.

Clearing security in Tucson was quite easy. I guess the mass of mineral
collectors and sellers makes them use to people like me carrying 200 pounds
of rocks, some of them iron. One of my bags they kept putting in and
rescanning it from different angles but al in all....no problems.

Leaving Tucson, I plugged some headphones into my seat to listen to the
flight cabin. I was now leaving nice warm Tucson for cold and boring Kansas.
The plane was completely full with passengers and I was worried all my items
would not make it on board. The pilot reported that all but 5 of golf clubs
bags made it under the plane. It was snowing across the northern US so I
didn't see them get much use the next week anyway.

After I landed in Wichita, the pilot reported the flight was "terminated"
and we were now taxing to the "departure" wings. Makes you wonder who gave
those airplane nicknames.
So without typing out a book, and telling you all my deals and such (Hey I
cant give everything away) I hope that gives those that did not attend a
good ideal on how the show went and activities. I think it can be said we
all had a great time. I know I did.

See you all next year....and remember Denver in September. Denver is
September...hey, that almost rymes.