[meteorite-list] Reward Offered To Find Meteorite In Ireland

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:27 2004

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_750305.html

£20,000 reward to find meteorite in Ireland
Ananova
February 13, 2003

A £20,000 reward is being offered to the finders of a meteorite seen streaking
across the Irish skyline.

More than a hundred people reported seeing the object, thought to have landed
around the north west of the country, early Wednesday morning.

Scottish meteorite dealer Rob Elliott has put up a reward in return for small
particles of the rock.

"The reward is an incentive to get people out, to walk through muddy fields and
spend some time actually looking for parts of the meteorite," said Elliott.

"There is no danger at all to anybody who picks up a meteorite."

He said his Fife-based company Fernlea Meteorites offered a similar reward in
November 1999 after a similar report of a bright fireball in the skies.

"We got to hear about it a day or two after the event and we offered a reward of
about £20,000 to the lucky finder," he told Irish radio.

Parts of the rock would be sold on to collectors and the remainder would be kept
for scientific research.

"It is very important for science," he told Irish radio. "The sooner we can get hold
of the meteorite, the better and we can have it in the hands of the researchers.

"They can study it and classify it and begin the long process of determining what
type it is, what group it is."