[meteorite-list] when will the US see another meteorite fall and recovery?

From: John Divelbiss <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:27 2004

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C2D53A.17B43260

Hello all,

As David Hardy suggested...things sure are slow on list. I'll try to add =
something.

I'm reading Nininger's book, Find A Falling Star. I'm only a third of =
the way through...and I'm hooked! I keep looking out back to see if a =
fireball might be passing by... or maybe I'll find a nice size crater in =
the backyard when I take the dog out in the morning. Al Mitterling told =
me this book would stir my desires to go out and find a rock from space. =
Everyone interested in meteorites should read it. What a story Nininger =
had to tell. Let's hope Steve Schoner gets well enough to share his =
observations of the man he met with years ago.

In the book he seems to be running from one fall or find to another for =
about 20 years (so far, from my reading)...mostly in the US, Canada or =
Mexico. Falls seemed to happen more frequently during those days, =
especially in the Midwest. My question is...are we in a meteorite =
drought (falls) here in the US and elsewhere, or is their no one out =
there doing what Nininger did when a fireball is witnessed? Obviously it =
takes lots of people interested in finding them to eventually bring them =
to someone like a Nininger...who advertised in papers, spoke to groups =
and individuals, offering money, etc. =20

I know we've had sightings...but I think the last recorded meteorite =
falls in the US were Portales Valley and Monahans in 1998. Can anyone =
come up with a later one? I think we are in a drought. Let's hope this =
is the year we see another or two...and of course, it happens in the =
backyard of someone on the list.

When????

John
------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C2D53A.17B43260

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hello all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As David Hardy suggested...things sure are slow on =
list. I'll=20
try to add something.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'm reading Nininger's book, Find A Falling Star. =
I'm only a=20
third of the way through...and I'm hooked!&nbsp; I keep looking out back =
to see=20
if a fireball might be passing by... or maybe I'll find a nice size =
crater in=20
the backyard when I take the dog out in the morning. Al Mitterling told =
me this=20
book would stir my desires to go out and find a rock from space. =
Everyone=20
interested in meteorites should read it. What a story Nininger had to=20
tell.&nbsp; Let's hope Steve Schoner gets well enough to share his =
observations=20
of the man he met with years ago.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>In the book he seems to be running from one fall or =
find to=20
another for about 20 years (so far, from my reading)...mostly in the US, =
Canada=20
or Mexico. Falls seemed to happen&nbsp;more frequently during those =
days,=20
especially in the Midwest. My question is...are we in a meteorite =
drought=20
(falls)&nbsp;here in the US and elsewhere, or is their no one out there =
doing=20
what Nininger did when a fireball is witnessed? Obviously it takes lots =
of=20
people interested in finding them to eventually bring them to someone =
like a=20
Nininger...who advertised in papers, spoke to groups and individuals, =
offering=20
money, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I know&nbsp;we've had sightings...but I think the =
last=20
recorded meteorite falls in the US were Portales Valley and Monahans in=20
1998.&nbsp; Can anyone come up with a later one? I think we are in a =
drought.=20
Let's hope this is the year we see another or two...and of course, it =
happens in=20
the backyard of someone on the list.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>When????</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>John&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C2D53A.17B43260--