[meteorite-list] Slikensides ?

From: Bill Mason III <bmason3_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:29 2004

Michel,
    Perhaps I can give you an insight into just what "slickensides" are all
about. A slickenside is a fault surface or fault-plane which exhibits
movement and dislocation,frequently warped,broken,and frequently offset.
When you see a true slickensides it is polished because the sliding surfaces
are under great pressure as they move slowly, opposing surfaces are polished
and often striated grooved.
    If you are thinking of impact structure you will most likely find
evidence of directional striations as in a dynamite exposition but you will
not see the polishing as evidenced in slickenside.
    Bill Mason