[meteorite-list] Thuathe report from the field.

From: M come Meteorite Meteorites <mcomemeteorite2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:31 2004

Hello

Ok for the report, is available a complete individual
of 10 gr.? I have ask in my last email but I never
received answer.
Regards

Matteo

--- Mike Farmer <farmerm_at_concentric.net> wrote:
> Hello everyone. Eric and I are back in South Africa,
> safe and sound, exhausted, but happy.
> I want to explain a little about this meteorite in
> response to Matteo and Joel Warren's emails.
> First for Matteo. Yes, the photos of the material
> that
> you saw in the Hupe's photos looks a little bit
> weathered. I saw
> all of the material first hand in Tucson so I know
> exactly what it looks like. The meteorite fell in
> Lesotho, (get a map Matteo), many thousands of
> kilometers from North Africa, a little far for
> nomads
> to try and pull a scam I would think? Anyway, this
> is
> a very mountainous region, and this year was
> apparently a record rainfall year. The area where
> the
> meteorite fell is partly on a high plateau, and
> partly
> in a valley. The strewnfield is almost 5 miles long
> by
> 2 miles wide. Several small villages and a satellite
> tracking station are in the middle of it. The area
> is
> full of small ponds and farmland, cabbage and
> cornfields. The stones are still being found, but it
> is high summer here, allot of rain and irrigation
> for
> the fields, so many stones are now weathered just as
> would be expected. The meteorite was seen and heard
> to fall by thousands of people all over the entire
> country of Lesotho and part of South Africa. The day
> was 80% clouded so it was only broken visibility of
> the fireball and smoke trail. Due to this, the
> university took almost 3 weeks to find the actual
> strewnfield. This happened when the local police
> report came out, once per month. In it there was
> report that some villagers reported to the police
> that
> someone had thrown stones from the sky at them. The
> police of course had no idea whom to charge, so they
> just reported it.
> When the scientists at the university saw that, they
> immediately went to the villages and began
> recovering
> the meteorites and mapping the strewnfield. This was
> late August, almost one month after the fall.
> These small villages are tiny, only a few houses,
> the
> people there have no time to waste on stones, so
> they
> soon forgot about the event until the university
> people came to collect and buy the stones. Then of
> course, everyone was out finding as many as they
> could.
> Eric and I spent an entire day at the university
> discussing the fall with them, pouring over maps and
> papers, and viewing the collection log of stones
> recovered. They have listed 490 stones, completely
> catalogued as to where recovered, by whom, size,
> dimensions etc. Extremely thorough data collection.
> We have logged in the stones we recovered and
> [...]

=====
M come Meteorite - Matteo Chinellato
Email: mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it
Sale Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.com Collection Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.info
MSN Messanger: spacerocks_at_hotmail.com
EBAY.COM:http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mcomemeteorite_at_excite.it/