[meteorite-list] Meteorite Contest

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:31 2004

Hello Michael and List,

Michael wrote:

        NO FAIR! We want you to site THE post that won it!
        Let's see it, dude!
        Best wishes, Michael

Sounds like a fair request. Rand showed a very high desire to win and sent
3 long entries. Here they are:

Meteorites are cool because they come to us from places in space where we
would
never be able to travel. They're cool because they're like nothing earthly.
They've been called rocks, but they're not really. In fact, they seem to be
alive in ways. When I see a meteorite with it's fusion crust, it reminds me
of
a poor, sore little puppy with it's fur singed off and a toasted hide. My
often over-imaginative mind can almost hear a whimper when I look at one of
these wonderfully ancient messengers from the heavens. "Ouch! atmospheric
entry
hurts!" They're cool because they bring us clues concerning the nature of
creation. They contain elements of life! They're cool because they seem to
plan where they're going to land so that we have to work hard to find them,
and
they're cool because their mystique has brought you and me together and made
us
friends. Rand Kluge.

 Meteorites are Cool RAP Style

I was chill'n on da lawn neath a starry-speckled dawn, when I saw up in da
sky
what was candy to my eye; made my arm hairs stand on end and my knees give
in
and bend so I lay down on da ground, hoping no one was around 'cause I knew
looked insane, like a preacher in da rain singin "glory Halelujah! Let me
see
dat once again! Der's a party goin on in da starry-speckled dawn! Der's a
party goin on! Der's a party goin on! Der be meteors in flight dey be flyin
left an right like a thousand fireflies through a magic summer night. It's a
shower from beyond; from da fairie's magic wand. It's a scattering of
stardust
dat I see above da lawn. Der's a party goin! Der's a party goin on! Der's a
party goin on or'e da court yard in da dawn. We be lookin in da sand. We be
lookin left an right. Wanna find one when it lands, when its burned up in
its
light. Gotta find a thing dey call a "mee-dee-eee-dee-odor-ite" Gotta put
one
in my hand. Gota search all through da land! Gotta find a piece o heaven.
Gotta
hold it in my hand! Der's a party goin on in da starry-speckled dawn! Der's
party goin on! Der's a party goin on! Gotta find a piece o heaven. Gotta
hold
it in my hand! Rand Kluge

  Meteorites are Cool- 3rd Entry

O.K. You've heard from me before, but here goes again.

Here are the REAL reasons why meteorites are cool.......from my own personal
perspective: Somehow the universe and everything in it is tied together by
one
common thread. Like an eternally lengthy necklace strung with a myriad of
beads, we, the trees, the whales and the birds, the plankton and the
amarilis,
the primrose and the lynxs.....are all part of one whole, strung together on
force whose nature we seek to understand. This force is the essence of
creation. We call it God, Nature, carma, the Great Spirit.(Among many
names.)
We have tried to define it throughout our history. We have organized
religions. We have fought wars over it. We have marveled at the
overwhelming
futility of trying to define eternity, the beginning of creation and the
intelligence behind it all. We are agnostics, nostics, Christian
Scientists,
Shintos, Budhists, Muslim, Jew, Mormon, Quaker...We are a quilt-work of
hundreds or disciplines which all attempt to define our existence. We reach
out
to find something physical to touch and see, which is ancient, magical, and
from the very heavens from which our creation originated.
This is why meteorites are cool from my point of view. A meteorite IS
physical! I can touch a meteorite! I can see a meteorite! A meteorite
indeed
seems magical and IS from the heavens....more ancient and magical than any
concrete object I know of. A meteorite is a capsule of creational clues
which,
to an imaginative mind such as mine, comes straight from the hand of the
creator bearing an invitation to us; saying, STUDY ME! PRESERVE ME!
TREASURE
ME! I bare the answers to the mystery you seek to solve.....THE MYSTERY OF
CREATION! Rand Kluge.

Thanks, Mark Bostick