[meteorite-list] Thuathe question(s)

From: Starbits_at_aol.com <Starbits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:31 2004

In a message dated 2/26/2003 10:45:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, parrothead_at_arn.net writes:

> I read that the main mass has been found and was
> enroute to someone. Any idea on its size?

Hello Joel and list

  Mike and I are killing time waiting for our 11 1/2 hour flight to London to board. The largest single Thuathe stone is 2.3 kg. It is a beautiful 99% crusted wonder. Although we tried to buy it we were told it was not for sale. There are no other single pieces over 1 kg, however I have 2 pieces that fit together that weigh 1.5kg. They are both crusted fragments that were part of a much larger stone. David Ambrose in his listing of Thuathe pieces has a piece listed at an estimated 3.5 kg. It was broken into a number of pieces by the village chief looking for diamonds inside. At this point I don't know if my two pieces are from that stone or not. I will have to contact Dr Ambrose and see if he has any fragment weights connected with his 3.5 kg estimate.
    Mike and I plan to upload Thuathe pages to our websites around noon on Monday after we return. We have a couple hundred small stones and a handfull or two of stones over 100 grams, but nothing over 200 grams that will be available for sale.

Eric Olson
http://www.star-bits.com