[meteorite-list] Ensisheim-Off the Wall meteorite

From: Alexander Seidel <ase_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:20:57 2004

Hi Fred and List,

as far as I know even Nininger made a trip to Ensisheim in
Alsace/France to have a look at that GREAT meteorite. I saw Bob Haag
there on at least one of the recent shows, and other well-known US
dealers and/or collectors over the past years.

By contrast: I wonder why there wasn´t any (!) US dealer at the
Ensisheim show this year, selling or trading for meteorites at his or
her own booth. Also almost non-existent, except for one lonely slice
that I saw: Park Forest.

Well, I know Mike Farmer, usually always a reliable participant on
such occasions, had other meteoritic things to do at just the same
time :-), but what about the rest of you US guys and gals, both
dealers and collectors, some of you being frequent contributors to
this list? I wonder whether economical reasons (e.g. a strong Euro vs.
the greenback) or other reasons that may possibly come to mind from
the recent past were the culprits. Ideas?

Anyway: the "great Ensisheimer" is still there on display, having a
small patch of crust on top, and thanks to Zelimir Gabelica, the
organizer of the annual show, we now know it´s exact weight much more
precisely than we did in the past.

PS: if you want to have a recent digital look at that famous stone,
visit Hanno Strufe´s website at www.strufe.net, and go to the
Ensisheim 2003 button. Other photos display a somewhat slow show, but
a friendly atmosphere in a very nice place. Thanks, Zelimir!

Alex
Berlin/Stade, Germany