[meteorite-list] Possible Impact Crater in Louisiana???

From: Paul <lenticulina1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:20:58 2004

Over the last couple of years, I have been studying
an unique and mysterious, rimmed circular
depression in Southeast Louisiana. It was
discovered as the result of regional geologic
mapping that I and others have been conducting.

>From the available evdience, I am comfortable
proposing the hypothesis that it might be an
impact crater. However, much work remains to
be done before any definite conclusions can be
made about its origin. The results of the work that
has so far been done is summarized in an article
on pages 3 to 5 of the the June 2003 issue of the
"Louisiana Geological Survey News." It can be
be downloaded on-line from:

http://www.lgs.lsu.edu/old/june2003.pdf
http://www.lgs.lsu.edu/newsletter.htm

This is very much a "work in progress." For
example, since the above article was published,
in situ shocked quartz has been found samples
from highly fractured Citronelle Fm. lying beneath
the rim deposits.

Unfortunately, it was not until the very, very end of
January that I had my shocked quartz authenticated
with detailed work using an universal stage. As a
result, I missed the GSA and Lunar and Planetary
Meeting Deadlines. As a result, I will be presenting
my theories in a poster session at the "Gulf Coast
Association of Geological Societies 53rd Annual
Meeting, Oct.22-24th, 2003, in Baton Rouge,
Louisiana. More information this meeting can
be found at:

http://www.brgs-la.org/gcags.htm

Under Posters Session, Thursday October 23,
2003, my poster is listed in:

http://www.brgs-la.org/tech_program.doc as:

"P20 P. V. Heinrich: Geologic Significance of
Fractured and Shocked Quartz Associated with a
Rimmed Circular Depression in St. Helena
Parish, Louisiana."

In addition to the poster, a ten-page paper with
lots of details has been accepted for publication,
after minor revision, in the Transactions of the Gulf

Coast Association of Geological Societies, vol. 53
(2003). This will be distributed at and after the
meeting.

I hope to be out digging for more shocked quartz
next Thursday. Among other things, I am getting
ready to collect medium and shallow depth
seismic data entirely across of 2 km diameter of
this feature, now called the "Brushy Creek feature,"
in either late August or September. Also, other
geophysical work is planned for this fall when
temperature and humidity fall below the
"heatstroke" and dehydration range.

Yours,

Paul