[meteorite-list] PSEUDO DEALERS AND PSEUDO JUDGING

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:20:58 2004

Hello, Dave and the list,

I have been in collecting business over 25 years, and have noticed, it´s
impossible to be partly a dealer / partly a collector in same items.

If you are a collector, you are collecting and you keep your specimens.
You can update the older ones for the better ones, no problem, or if you
happen to have purached a bigger lot, you sell / trade and buy the new
ones. The main thing is, as a collector, this is a hobby, and should be also
a great fun. The part of the fun is sharing, you give free information, free
samples, and what you get for that is nice "WOW", when a 8-years old
fellow gets his first real piece from space. When I have to sell a specimen
to pay my lunch, I´m not a collector anymore.

If you are a dealer, you can have a personal collection, no doubt. But if
somebody offers to you 10 x the current price for some specimen, you´ll
sell it, if not, you are not a wise dealer...;-

I was collecting minerals + gems over 20 years, and when it seems, it was
more dealing than collecting, I had to made a decission. So now I´m dealing
with the minerals + gems and collecting meteorites. Sure I have some
meteorites with
in shows, usually some bigger ones just to show and small fragments of
NWA:s
and so to give away for free to kids and why not also to older ones, if
they are
interrested in them. Sure I still have some mineral samples and gems,
I´m not very
willing to sell, but if somebody makes me an offer good enough, no prob,
he will
get even my wedding-ring...;-

So, when I´m in the show, I´m selling minerals, this is business, and
talking about
meteorites and give some information of them and also free samples, this
is my
fun part of the show. The day I have to sell a meteorite to pay my
lunch, I´m not
a collector anymore, and day after that you´ll find my collection for
sale on eBay...;-

take care,

pekka