[meteorite-list] NP Article, 08-1907 Meteorite Joke

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:20:58 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0012_01C3420E.A4B5F770

Paper: Marion Daily Star =20
City: Marion, Ohio =20
Date: Friday, August 23, 1907
Page: 8

MISS KLUMPKE'S JOKE

Miss Dorothea Klumpke, the astronomer, speaks of the difficulties and in?=
???ies that astronomy presents to the lay mind.
"For instance.' she said, smiling, 'There is the well known case of the m=
eteorite that fell on a Vermont farm in 1829. It was a valuable meteorite=
, and the landlord at once stepped up and claimed it. 'All minerals and m=
etals on the land belong to me,' he said. 'That's in the lease.'
The tenant demurred, 'This meteorite,' he said, 'wasn't on the farm, you =
must remember, when the lease was drawn up.'
"The landlord perceived the justice of that claim. He thought a moment. T=
hen he said decisively. 'I claim her as flying game.'
"But the tenant was ready for him. 'It's got neither wings nor feathers.'=
 he said, 'Therefore, as ground game. It's mine."
"They continued their argument, and in the heat of the it a revenue offic=
er, arriving with a truck proceeded to put the meteorite aboard. 'I claim=
 her for the goverment.' he said, 'as an article introduced into the coun=
try without payment of duty!"

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_0012_01C3420E.A4B5F770

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>Paper: Marion Daily Star </P> <P>City: Marion, Ohio </P> <P>Date: F=
riday, August 23, 1907</P> <P>Page: 8</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>MISS KLUMP=
KE'S JOKE</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Miss Dorothea Klumpke, the astronomer, spe=
aks of the difficulties and in????ies that astronomy presents to the lay =
mind.</P> <P>"For instance.' she said, smiling, 'There is the well known =
case of the meteorite that fell on a Vermont farm in 1829. It was a valua=
ble meteorite, and the landlord at once stepped up and claimed it. 'All m=
inerals and metals on the land belong to me,' he said. 'That's in the lea=
se.'</P> <P>The tenant demurred, 'This meteorite,' he said, 'wasn't on th=
e farm, you must remember, when the lease was drawn up.'</P> <P>"The land=
lord perceived the justice of that claim. He thought a moment. Then he sa=
id decisively. 'I claim her as flying game.'</P> <P>"But the tenant was r=
eady for him. 'It's got neither wings nor feathers.' he said, 'Therefore,=
 as ground game. It's mine."</P> <P>"They continued their argument, and i=
n the heat of the it a revenue officer, arriving with a truck proceeded t=
o put the meteorite aboard. 'I claim her for the goverment.' he said, 'as=
 an article introduced into the country without payment of duty!"</P></FO=
NT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archiv=
e of meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0012_01C3420E.A4B5F770--