[meteorite-list] Interesting item on eBay web site item#2182222677: Meteo...

From: Thetoprok_at_aol.com <Thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:20:58 2004

--part1_12d.2d0dacb4.2c3822ec_boundary

Tom, List,
I had the pleasure of meeting the man with the ebay "meteorite". He was about
40 miles north of where I was going anyway so I packed up a microscope, rare
earth magnet, meteorites with fresh crust, and some old weathered ones too.
Drove out and met him and his family and gave a good old fashioned meteorite
demonstration.(Kinda felt like Harvey!) These folks live in pure farm country so
I thought it a good idea to educate them a little.
Unfortunately Dans' meteorite was a little more like a leaverite and I told
him that, of course he had a good story as to how he came to possess the stone
in question. He told me that when he was a kid in the ' 60's he saw a fresh
crater in the farm field with dirt all thrown up and around, and when him and
his brother poked a shovel in the bottom they found this rock, he never doubted
for a minute that he had an authentic space rock.

I'm 100% convinced no ill intentions were intended. When I told him that he
should remove the item from ebay he didn't argue a bit. He was looking for some
seed money for a family project and thought he would cash in on his old
meteorite!

He asked me to tell everyone that he is an honest man, and he had no idea
that his auction was inappropriate.

Regards,
Larry

--part1_12d.2d0dacb4.2c3822ec_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
Tom, List,<BR>
I had the pleasure of meeting the man with the ebay "meteorite". He was abou=
t 40 miles north of where I was going anyway so I packed up a microscope, ra=
re earth magnet, meteorites with fresh crust, and some old weathered ones to=
o. Drove out and met him and his family and gave a good old fashioned meteor=
ite demonstration.(Kinda felt like Harvey!) These folks live in pure farm co=
untry so I thought it a good idea to educate them a little.<BR>
Unfortunately Dans' meteorite was a little more like a leaverite and I told=20=
him that, of course he had a good story as to how he came to possess the sto=
ne in question. He told me that when he was a kid in the ' 60's he saw a fre=
sh crater in the farm field with dirt all thrown up and around, and when him=
 and his brother poked a shovel in the bottom they found this rock, he never=
 doubted for a minute that he had an authentic space rock.<BR>
<BR>
I'm 100% convinced no ill intentions were intended. When I told him that he=20=
should remove the item from ebay he didn't argue a bit. He was looking for s=
ome seed money for a family project and thought he would cash in on his old=20=
meteorite!<BR>
<BR>
He asked me to tell everyone that he is an honest man, and he had no idea th=
at his auction was inappropriate.<BR>
<BR>
Regards,<BR>
Larry<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_12d.2d0dacb4.2c3822ec_boundary--