[meteorite-list] Interesting item on eBay web site item#2182222677: Meteo...

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:20:58 2004

--MS_Mac_OE_3140252300_31037208_MIME_Part

Great work, Larry
       Best wishes, Michael

on 7/5/03 5:47 AM, Thetoprok_at_aol.com at Thetoprok@aol.com wrote:

Tom, List,
I had the pleasure of meeting the man with the ebay "meteorite". He was
about 40 miles north of where I was going anyway so I packed up a
microscope, rare earth magnet, meteorites with fresh crust, and some old
weathered ones too. Drove out and met him and his family and gave a good old
fashioned meteorite demonstration.(Kinda felt like Harvey!) These folks live
in pure farm country so I thought it a good idea to educate them a little.
Unfortunately Dans' meteorite was a little more like a leaverite and I told
him that, of course he had a good story as to how he came to possess the
stone in question. He told me that when he was a kid in the ' 60's he saw a
fresh crater in the farm field with dirt all thrown up and around, and when
him and his brother poked a shovel in the bottom they found this rock, he
never doubted for a minute that he had an authentic space rock.

I'm 100% convinced no ill intentions were intended. When I told him that he
should remove the item from ebay he didn't argue a bit. He was looking for
some seed money for a family project and thought he would cash in on his old
meteorite!

He asked me to tell everyone that he is an honest man, and he had no idea
that his auction was inappropriate.

Regards,
Larry

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."
  ...George W. Bush to Sam Donaldson, 8/17/93
--
Worth Seeing:
-  Earth at night from satellite:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg
- Interactive Lady Liberty:
http://doody36.home.attbi.com/liberty.htm
- Earth - variety of choices:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/vplanet.html
--
Panoramic view of Meteor Crater:
http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/Arizona/GrandCanyonRoute66/MeteorCrater/Met
eorCraterRimL.html
--
Cool Calendar & Clock:
 http://www.yugop.com/ver3/stuff/03/fla.html
--
Michael Blood Meteorites & Didgeridoos for sale at:
http://www.michaelbloodmeteorites.com/
--MS_Mac_OE_3140252300_31037208_MIME_Part
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE> Interesting item on eBay web site item#2182222677: Meteo...</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Great work, Larry<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Best wishes, Michael<BR>
<BR>
on 7/5/03 5:47 AM, Thetoprok_at_aol.com at Thetoprok@aol.com wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><BR>
Tom, List,<BR>
I had the pleasure of meeting the man with the ebay &quot;meteorite&quot;. =
He was about 40 miles north of where I was going anyway so I packed up a mic=
roscope, rare earth magnet, meteorites with fresh crust, and some old weathe=
red ones too. Drove out and met him and his family and gave a good old fashi=
oned meteorite demonstration.(Kinda felt like Harvey!) These folks live in p=
ure farm country so I thought it a good idea to educate them a little.<BR>
Unfortunately Dans' meteorite was a little more like a leaverite and I told=
 him that, of course he had a good story as to how he came to possess the st=
one in question. He told me that when he was a kid in the ' 60's he saw a fr=
esh crater in the farm field with dirt all thrown up and around, and when hi=
m and his brother poked a shovel in the bottom they found this rock, he neve=
r doubted for a minute that he had an authentic space rock.<BR>
<BR>
I'm 100% convinced no ill intentions were intended. When I told him that he=
 should remove the item from ebay he didn't argue a bit. He was looking for =
some seed money for a family project and thought he would cash in on his old=
 meteorite!<BR>
<BR>
He asked me to tell everyone that he is an honest man, and he had no idea t=
hat his auction was inappropriate.<BR>
<BR>
Regards,<BR>
Larry<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&quot;I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.&quot;<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;...George W. Bush to Sam Donaldson, 8/17/93<BR>
--<BR>
Worth Seeing:<BR>
- &nbsp;Earth at night from satellite:<BR>
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg<BR>
- Interactive Lady Liberty:<BR>
http://doody36.home.attbi.com/liberty.htm<BR>
- Earth - variety of choices:<BR>
http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/vplanet.html <BR>
--<BR>
Panoramic view of Meteor Crater:<BR>
http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/Arizona/GrandCanyonRoute66/MeteorCrater/Me=
teorCraterRimL.html<BR>
--<BR>
Cool Calendar &amp; Clock:<BR>
 &nbsp;http://www.yugop.com/ver3/stuff/03/fla.html<BR>
--<BR>
Michael Blood Meteorites &amp; Didgeridoos for sale at:<BR>
http://www.michaelbloodmeteorites.com/<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>
--MS_Mac_OE_3140252300_31037208_MIME_Part--