[meteorite-list] eBay sellers not yet in our guide

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:20:59 2004

--part1_6d.14d93258.2c3922f8_boundary

  mlblood_at_cox.net writes:

> I was looking on eBay and found these people selling meteorites.
> If anyone knows who any of them are, please contact me off list
> and I will add them to our list of eBay names.
> Thanks, Michael
>
> brightstar......Sharlot, NC
> meteoritesandmore....Kansas City
> meteormagic
> rocman..........Kingman,AZ

Michael, with all due respect to you and the very-useful idea of a list of
ebay-sellers, I really think you need to ask permission of the sellers concerned
whether they want their personal identities included on a list, not merely
ask any listees who might happen to know who they are. There's a reason why
ebay doesn't just use people's real names -- everyone has a right to as much or
little anonymity as he or she might prefer. Sure, there will always be those
who will misuse the anonymity to cover up less-than-ethical practices, but some
people just simply want to keep a low profile for their own personal reasons,
and surely they have that right if they so choose. I personally happen to
greatly prefer knowing who ebay-sellers are before I buy, and I clearly state
who I am when I sell, but that's my choice - I have to think that having
one's identity revealed on a widely distributed list should be up to each
individual person, not up to unrelated third parties wishing to assemble that list.

       Gregory

--part1_6d.14d93258.2c3922f8_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">&nbsp; mlblood_at_cox.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I was looking on eBay and found=
 these people selling meteorites.<BR>
If anyone knows who any of them are, please contact me off list<BR>
and I will add them to our list of eBay names.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks, Michael<BR>
<BR>
brightstar......Sharlot, NC<BR>
meteoritesandmore....Kansas City<BR>
meteormagic<BR>
rocman..........Kingman,AZ<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Michael, with all due respect to you and the very-useful idea of a list of e=
bay-sellers, I really think you need to ask permission of the sellers concer=
ned whether they want their personal identities included on a list, not mere=
ly ask any listees who might happen to know who they are.&nbsp; There's a re=
ason why ebay doesn't just use people's real names -- everyone has a right t=
o as much or little anonymity as he or she might prefer.&nbsp; Sure, there w=
ill always be those who will misuse the anonymity to cover up less-than-ethi=
cal practices, but some people just simply want to keep a low profile for th=
eir own personal reasons, and surely they have that right if they so choose.=
&nbsp; I personally happen to greatly prefer knowing who ebay-sellers are be=
fore I buy, and I clearly state who I am when I sell, but that's <I>my choic=
e</I>&nbsp; -&nbsp;&nbsp; I have to think that having one's identity reveale=
d on a widely distributed list should be up to each individual person, not u=
p to unrelated third parties wishing to assemble that list.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Gregory&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></HTML=

--part1_6d.14d93258.2c3922f8_boundary--