[meteorite-list] TO: Use of Frames on Websites

From: Ken O'Neill <kenoneill_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:20:59 2004

Hi Walter,

Here is a link to some info on authoring using frames :

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/authoring/frames/index.html

As you will see from the dates of these articles there is not much new in
frames and designers now tend to use Style sheets and tables to control
placement of content.

You have to use the noframes tag for the people whose browsers cannot handle
frames. The noframes tag allows you to set an alternative set of links to
navigate your site. Another drawback with frames is how Search Engines
catalogue the content of your site. Their "spiders" can get confused and not
get past page 1 if coded incorrectly. The upshot of this is the failure of
the search engine to list you. If a potential visitor is in google and
searching for "meteorite" unless your listed they will never find you.

There are a few more drawbacks such as visitors can get stuck in your frames
when trying to go elsewhere, this can get annoying. Again this problem would
be down to bad coding.

All in all frames can give attractive results if coded correctly but today
frames is not the favoured choice in web layouts. Style sheets and tables
can make life a lot easier.

Webmonkey will give you some good idea's and caters for all levels of web
design.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Ken O'Neill