[meteorite-list] eBay Sellers list, eBay name change

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:00 2004

Hello, John and the list,

the million dollar-mails are mostly from Nigeria and some
another African-countries. The ordinary letters of this kind
have long been known as "Nigerian-letters". In last years they
have started to use also e-mails. You can get a mail from the
widow of Mobutu Sese Seko or so on, and they told, they
have several millions USD:s they need to get safe from the
country.

They are sending these to addresses automatically monitored,
I have several e-mail accounts and have recived the same mail
in several mailboxes during the same day.

If you contact these people, next theyīll do, is ask some money
to get the large money transferred to your account. These are
all pure criminal acts and belong to trash.

In fact, the only way to avoid spam is just change your e-mail
several times / year. Once you have given your e-mail to a
commercial-site, writen to a news-group or so, itīs only a question
of time, when you are starting to get spam. Filter-programs may
be helpfull, but they donīt solve the problem.

Sure you can have one or more e-mail accounts you use only in
your privat messages and so you can keep it without spam. But
the truth is, when your e-mail address exists in a www-site of
any kind, it means automatic monitoring of it and after that spam.
Also spammers sell / trade the addresses, so when you get one,
you can wait for more.

One way to avoid spamming is just to add something to your e-mail
address, which should be removed, when to reply, like;

- real e-mail; pekka.savolainen_at_dlc.fi

- if you want to avoid automatic monitoring, you can write;
pekka.savolainen(nospam)_at_dlc.fi

and ask the reciver remove word "nospam"

This doesnīt help much, because you have to use your real e-mail in
many cases but is one way to limit the spam, when the using of this
kind of method is possible.

take care,

pekka