[meteorite-list] DOD Satellites Detect March 2003 Bolide Over Park Forest

From: Thetoprok_at_aol.com <Thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:01 2004

--part1_1e4.cdc6627.2c3cdf8a_boundary

Hello Folks,

This whole thing has me a bit perplexed for several reasons. First, the stone
my brother and I recovered had a distinct angle of entry that I saw and
documented, and passed on to Mr. Sipiera. That trajectory definately indicated that
the offending stone came in from the S.E. and was heading in a N.W.
direction. I determined this before ever being subjected to other theoriesof direction
of entry. I also spoke with eyewitnesses in the days that followed and all
backed up that conclusion.
On a second trip I met with a man named Atul Kumar, He isn't a scientist but
he has been gathering info on the strewn field for the astronomy club that he
is involved with. He has compiled quite a list/map of stones that were
recovered, including weights and locations of recovery, and his map indicates the
same S.E. to N.W. direction, with the larger stones coming from the N.W. end of
the strewn field.
Of course I can't argue with the DOD satellite observation, but it sure is
contradictory to what I've been thinking all along! The satellite indicates an
entry of exactly the opposite of what the strewn field maps look like that I
have seen, and my own recoveries, 70 gram stone in Steger, 638gram stone in P.F.
indicate at the very least a South to North trajectory, (roughly).
 No matter how you slice it, based on the DOD satellite info, the larger
stones should be south of the small ones, and this is just not the case.
Is human error possible, between interpretation of the satellite data and
publication of said information?
Curious minds want to know,
Larry

--part1_1e4.cdc6627.2c3cdf8a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<BR>
Hello Folks,<BR>
<BR>
This whole thing has me a bit perplexed for several reasons. First, the ston=
e my brother and I recovered had a distinct angle of entry that I saw and do=
cumented, and passed on to Mr. Sipiera. That trajectory definately indicated=
 that the offending stone came in from the S.E. and was heading in a N.W. di=
rection. I determined this before ever being subjected to other theoriesof d=
irection of entry. I also spoke with eyewitnesses in the days that followed=20=
and all backed up that conclusion.<BR>
On a second trip I met with a man named Atul Kumar, He isn't a scientist but=
 he has been gathering info on the strewn field for the astronomy club that=20=
he is involved with. He has compiled quite a list/map of stones that were re=
covered, including weights and locations of recovery, and his map indicates=20=
the same S.E. to N.W. direction, with the larger stones coming from the N.W.=
 end of the strewn field. <BR>
Of course I can't argue with the DOD satellite observation, but it sure is c=
ontradictory to what I've been thinking all along! The satellite indicates a=
n entry of exactly the opposite of what the strewn field maps look like that=
 I have seen, and my own recoveries, 70 gram stone in Steger, 638gram stone=20=
in P.F. indicate at the very least a South to North trajectory, (roughly).<B=

 No matter how you slice it, based on the DOD satellite info, the larger sto=
nes should be south of the small ones, and this is just not the case.<BR>
Is human error possible, between interpretation of the satellite data and pu=
blication of said information?<BR>
Curious minds want to know,<BR>
Larry</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1e4.cdc6627.2c3cdf8a_boundary--