[meteorite-list] Origin of the Moon& God

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:02 2004

Hello List,
I was hoping this thread would die quickly and quietly after Geoff's
post. However, it seems it (the thread) is determined to hold on to life
with a death grip and continue to gasp for air one weak breath at a time.

Since it's Friday and the traffic on this list is slow, I'll offer an
analogy that I think most of you can relate to. This debate between
religion and science has been going on for centuries and it makes at least
one visit to this list every year. Nothing is ever resolved - no one ever
wins the argument, because there is no correct answer to this issue.

It's sort of like this. My wife, who is a business professional, usually
comes home from a day of shopping and drags me up to the bedroom to see the
new clothes she had bought. Invariably, she will put on one of here new
dresses, and ask, "Honey, does this dress make me look fat?"

No matter which way you answer the question, it's the wrong answer. Dead
wrong. You see, if I say "yes", then I'm deader than a grasshopper in a
chicken coop. If I say "no", then the rest of the day is trashed after her
first question fired back at me..."so, what's that supposed to mean?"

Bottom line is don't answer the question in the first place. Instead,
quickly change the subject by saying, "hey...let's go to [insert the name
of her favorite restaurant here] for dinner and we might have enough time
afterwards to go buy a few more of those gorgeous dresses."

It's the same with the Creation/Evolution thing. No one is ever going to
win over the other person by saying what they think is true, so why waste
your time trying. Instead, go do something more productive, like going out
to dinner.

Have a Good Weekend,

John