[meteorite-list] Lawsuit Against God for Meteorite Impact - It is an Urban Legend?

From: Paul <lenticulina1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:02 2004

Since people are talking about god and the Moon,
maybe someone might be able to satisfy my curiosity
about a story that I saw dramatized on "Death Valley
Days" when I was a kid. The story was about a
widower in a village in the western United States,
possibly Utah, during the 1800's whose porch was
demolished by a meteorite.

After thinking it over for a few days, she
contacted a lawyer to file a joint suit against
the local churches for damage to her porch. Her
reasoning was that she assumed that God was
responsible for where meteorites came down
and who got hit and had their property damaged
as punishment for some specific sin. She sued
the local churches as representatives of God
on Earth because she carefully thought out
what sins she and her late husband had
committed and couldn't find any that warranted
having her porch demolished by meteorite.
Thus, she argued in her lawsuit that God
had wrongfully cause damage to her front
porch and the local churches, as the local
representatives of God owned her a new porch.
I think it was settled out of court when the
localpastors got together to rebuild her
porch, but at the same time not admitting
any guilt on God's part. They also explained
that hurling meteorites at sinners is not
how God made his displeasrure known.

Did this story really happen? Or was it an
imaginative tale invented either by the
writers of "Death Valley Days" or some
"reporter"for a local 1800's newspaper.
I suspect it is nothing more than fiction,
but does anyone out there know for sure.

Yours,

Paul
Baton Rouge, LA