[meteorite-list] Metorites and magnetic displays

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:03 2004

Hi List,

I have wondered if the magnetic holders are a good idea or not. I don't like or permit
people to put magnets on my for sale specimens because some researchers do magnetic
field tests on specimens (these are very very mild fields that show orientation of the
specimen). I don't know of all the scientific value of these magnetic field tests but
placing a powerful magnet on any meteorite would ruin the specimen for this type of
test. I am not putting the sellers of these holders down (pretty innovative) but
specimens should be kept in their natural states without any sort of outside
influences if they are to be studied in the future. All my best.

--AL