[meteorite-list] IMCA member offering questionable meteorite

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:03 2004

--part1_f.15527cec.2c41a8f2_boundary

j.divelbiss_at_att.net:

> If you read you can tell that
> this was probably once thought to be a meteorite...but it was tested and
> confirmed not to be.

Well, I CAN read, thank you very much, John. ;-)

Eliminating all text having nothing to do with authenticity, it says the
following "HAD IT TESTED....IT IS A EQUAL MIX OF IRON AND SILICON.......GUARANTEED
TO BE AUTHENTIC ,,IMCA 5093,,, INTERNATIONAL METEORITE COLLECTORS
ASSOCIATION.

I fail to see where that suggests that "it was tested and confirmed not to
be." As I said in the post first mentioning this, we all like to give the
benefit of the doubt whenever possible, especially to a fellow IMCA member, and
that was my first instinct, too. But even for those of us whose insticnt is to
be charitable, the seller's own wording above makes it awfully difficult to do
so. I don't necessarily think anyone should be expelled from the IMCA for
one offense, but I still maintain that composing the above text, with NO idea
that it could possibly be misinterpreted, is a stretch.

       Gregory

--part1_f.15527cec.2c41a8f2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"> <BR>
j.divelbiss_at_att.net:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">If you read you can tell that <=

this was probably once thought to be a meteorite...but it was tested and <BR=

confirmed not to be. </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Well, I CAN read, thank you very much, John.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ;-)<BR>
<BR>
Eliminating all text having nothing to do with authenticity, it says the fol=
lowing "HAD IT TESTED....IT IS A EQUAL MIX OF IRON AND SILICON.......GUARANT=
EED TO BE AUTHENTIC ,,IMCA 5093,,, INTERNATIONAL METEORITE COLLECTORS ASSOCI=
ATION.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
    <BR>
I fail to see where that suggests that "it was tested and confirmed not to b=
e."&nbsp;&nbsp; As I said in the post first mentioning this, we all like to=20=
give the benefit of the doubt whenever possible, especially to a fellow IMCA=
 member, and that was my first instinct, too.&nbsp; But even for those of us=
 whose insticnt is to be charitable, the seller's own wording above makes it=
 awfully difficult to do so.&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't necessarily think anyone sh=
ould be expelled from the IMCA for one offense, but I still maintain that co=
mposing the above text, with NO idea that it could <U>possibly</U> be misint=
erpreted, is a stretch. <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Gregory<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_f.15527cec.2c41a8f2_boundary--