Fwd: [meteorite-list] Here's a NEW TOPIC

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:05 2004

BOORX4_at_aol.com wrote:

> After all the first rule of this list is "Posts need to be related in some way to
> meteorites." If that is the case, then let me be the "Devil's Advocate" for a moment
> and ask the question:
> What does "Mars near Moon,"

    Both are parent bodies of meteorites. Besides, you can walk outside and look at it,
a brilliant naked-eye phenomenon, like a meteor shower. Curious that you would object to
the sight of the Heavens...

> "Moon Capture theory,

    Ditto, above. Remember, one of the reasons for the study of meteorites is that they
reveal things about their parent bodies. And the Moon is one hell of a parent body, just
hanging up there, ready to drop another lunar stone into the Hupes' lap....

> "probes sent to Mars,"

    Ditto. Remember, one of the reasons for the study of meteorites is that they reveal
things about their parent bodies. And Mars is one hell of a parent body, just hanging...
You get the picture.

> "Comets falling into the sun,"

    The question of whether any type of meteorite has possible origin in a cometary body
rather than an asteroidal one is still unsettled and depends on the constitution of
cometary bodies, which this post had implications for.

> the "Ord Cloud,"

    That's "Oort" Cloud. Again, the home of cometary bodies (or is it?). Depends on the
context. If the item was about the possibility of any chunk or portion, even dust, of an
Oort Cloud object reaching Earth, it would be germaine. And in fact, many many tons of
such dust do, every year.

> "volcanic activity on Jupiter's moon"

    OK, something of a stretch, but it is possible to transfer material from a Jovian
moon into an earth-crossing orbit. This was the subject of delightful paper by Freeman
Dyson, who dealt with the question of a Europan fish making it to earth...

> etc.,etc., etc., (you get the picture) have to do with meteorites??????

    Meteorites are not an end in themselves.
    First, they are a low-cost sample return system from other solar system bodies.
    Second, they are a low cost sample return system from Deep Time, from the formation
of the solar system.
    Their significance in both these contexts is not in the meeorite per se, but in what
they reveal of the larger universe, which is the more important thing, if you think
about it.
    But lastly, they are of emotional significance to us as Earth bound humans because
you can hold a piece of Mars or the Moon or Vesta or wherever in your hand, a totally
remarkable circumstance for a planetary primate.
    You can even eat a piece of the planet Mars (if you can afford it) and let the acid
juices of your belly incorporate the atoms of another world into the structure of your
Earthly body.
    I would rather go for a long hike down the Vallis Marinaris and pick up my own
pieces of Mars, but since that's unlikely, I'll settle for DAG489.

> If the list is going to discuss meteorites, then these subjects have no place
> on our meteorite list. However, if these subjects are going to continue,
> then the #1 rule needs to be changed to: "Posts need to be related in some way
> to our solar system, its planets & satellites, comets, asteroids, space rocks
> and of course meteorites.

    Frankly, all of these subjects and posts are more closely related to the purposes of
the List than certain too-lengthy threads of late.

> So how should this problem be handled?

    I don't think anyone else sees it as a problem.

Sterling K. Webb