[meteorite-list] Tektites?

From: N Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:06 2004

Tom & all,

Tektites are now almost universally viewed as far-traveled impactites,
mainly terrestrial material "splashed" by meteorite impacts. Some
meteoritic components may be incorporated into the glass. Mysteries remain
as to why only a few impacts are known to have created tektites, and we're
still missing the biggest source crater of all.

There also remain important unanswered issues raised by the old guard Lunar
eruption or Lunar impact folks (O'keefe, Futrell, and friends). While they
used these issues to argue against terrestrial impact origin, the arguments
can just as well be used to illustrate imperfections in our understanding of
the conditions and processes involved in tektite-producing terrestrial
impacts. The Lunar theories have been greatly damaged by hard evidence from
the moon landings.

Huge, convoluted subject, but that's the short answer---

Norm Lehrman
(http://tektitesource.com)