[meteorite-list] Tektites?

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:06 2004

Marcie, Tom and all,

Some years ago, 2001, I found and purchased a very
unusual tektite at the Tucson Show.

See:

http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey/stretch.html

And in a long series of debates with the Late Darryl
Futrell, I disputed his claim of Lunar orgin that such
forms could have possibly survived if they had been
formed on the moon, solidified in space to then, some
time later, fall to the earth maintaining this form
without any atmospheric ablation.

Fanged buttons, and flanged dumbells are evidence that
they solidified in space then fell to the earth...
like meteorites. But it is the very rare stretch
forms that eliminate lunar origin for the very reason
that if they too came from the moon they would also
have been ablated in the way the the flanged ones are.

The Futrell-Schoner debates went on for quite a long
time and as I remember I was almost "stoned" for being
so adamant in my assertion of mega-Tunguska events as
the producers of such objects.

It is in the archives in 2001, and I think for those
really interested in the tektite question it is worth
reading those threads.

All the evidence points to terrestrial impact rather
than the moon even though no definite terrestrial
craters have been found relating to their origin.

Also tektites are problematic in so far as they are
not what one would expect from material fused from
earth deposits.

I suspect cometary impactors that completely disrupted
in the Earth's atmosphere, not reaching the ground to
produce clearly defined craters like more solid
objects would be apt to produce. I maintained in the
debates with Mr Futrell that the explosion of the
bolide was like a mega-Tunguska event that "blew away"
the atmosphere to the ground and in the process fused
ground material, as well as cometary solids to
re-coalesce in the Earth's atmosphere to produce
tekites such as are found. This position is also
supporte in the distribution of the Indo-Chinites, and
Australites, in that the "butter fly" pattern of
distribution is similar to the tree flatenting
observed at the much smaller Tunguska site.

It is also interesting to note that the flanged
buttons found in Australia, are thousands of miles
away from the more common indo-Chinites, which they
are related to, amd are not flanged. Also layered
tektites are found closer to the source of the impact.
These were not ejected very far whereas the
Australites were ejected from the perimeter of the
impact zone and thrown thousands of miles above and
out atmosphere to fall, re-entering at hypersonic
speed to produce the noted flanged button forms. And
these prove that this form was produce at hyper-sonic
speed as they re-entered the Earth's atmosphere.

The rare stretch forms on the other hand are found
only in regions much closer to the impact point, which
is Thailand, Cambodia, and Viet Nam.

The layered ones, which were not ejected are also
found there.

Thus is my "theory" as to their origin, and it is not
just my "theory" but that of many others.

(See Feb. 2001 issue of Meteorite Magazine that has a
great article on the origin of tektites)

(I hope that my answer does not evolve into another
heated debate, with everyone wanting to stone me as I
won't back down on my ideas regarding tektites. It
was almost as bad as the "God, Lunar" topic that would
not die... But I miss Darryl Futrell... He was a
worthy opponent in the debates)

Steve Schoner/ams