[meteorite-list] etching solution

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:06 2004

--------------050404090604060705060303

Hello, Mark and the list,

think ferric chloride is not strong enough to etch Fe / Ni, but havenīt
ever tried...;-

You can find a quite good recipe for the etching solution from R.O.
Nortons book Rocks from Space (page 415). There is also advised,
how to check Ni from the potential meteorites (page 417).

You should have the nitric acid from the drug store, but if possible,
please, check the recipe first, you need also some other components
to make the mix. If you use 100 % nitric acid, the result may be, if
not a catastrophe, but quite near to that.

And even with not so strong solutions, latex gloves and goggles should
be worn to avoid to hurt yourself.

take care,

pekka

--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND
+ 358 400 818 912
Group Home Page: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eurocoin
Group Email Address: eurocoin_at_smartgroups.com
--------------050404090604060705060303
<head>
</head>
Hello, Mark and the list,<br>
think ferric chloride is not strong enough to etch Fe / Ni, but haven&acute;t<br>
ever tried...;-<br>
You can find a quite good recipe for the etching solution from R.O.<br>
Nortons book Rocks from Space (page 415). There is also advised,<br>
how to check Ni from the potential meteorites (page 417).<br>
You should have the nitric acid from the drug store, but if possible,<br>
please, check the recipe first, you need also some other components<br>
to make the mix. If you use 100 % nitric acid, the result may be, if<br>
not a catastrophe, but quite near to&nbsp; that.<br>
And even with not so strong solutions,&nbsp; latex gloves and goggles should<br>
be worn to avoid to hurt yourself.<br>
take care,<br>
pekka<br>
Mark Jackson wrote:<br>
patterns to view on meteorites. I understand it's nitric acid? I got the
"bright" idea of checking my local electronic supply house for PC board etching
solution and it seems that ferric chloride is used to etch copper from the
breadboards. I got a B in college chemistry&nbsp;and that makes me&nbsp;question the&nbsp;usefulness&nbsp;of
using ferric chloride on a meteo(rite/wrong). Am I correct in questioning
this practice? Where can I find, or how can I extract, nitric acid to use
if I am correct?</div>
  <hr size="1"> Do you Yahoo!?<br>
 Free <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/tag/*http://calendar.yahoo.com">
online calendar</a>
 with sync to Outlook(TM). </blockquote>
  <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND