[meteorite-list] Harassing eBayers

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:07 2004

Dear IMCA and List Members,

I thought IMCA was supposed to act like a professional organization and I do
not like the thought that somebody else's lack of judgment when contacting
sellers about their meteorite wrongs might reflect poorly upon other
members, including myself. I think a consensus should be sought before
attacking eBayers and a friendlier approach should be taken when contacting
these individuals. A lot of new collectors came from the Chicago fall and a
lot of non-meteorites were sold by parties who did not know any better.

In the long run press is good for meteoritics whether it comes from a
legitimate fall or just a sighting. I saw local news reports that the Elma
material was being sold on eBay along with over 700 other meteorites. If
this does not promote eBay sales of meteorites I do not know what will.
Millions of viewers saw these newscasts broadcast on five networks. Several
non-collectors have been emailing showing an interest in meteorites because
of the coverage. The few specimens sold on eBay by non IMCA members is
minimal, the sellers, in this case, state they are not sure they are
meteorites and these minor sales posses very little threat to established
dealers. I would encourage a cooperative attitude with non IMCA members
rather than putting them into a defensive posture with a belligerent
approach.

All the best,

Adam