[meteorite-list] Melrose Meteorite

From: Thetoprok_at_aol.com <Thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:08 2004

--part1_95.307d6e6a.2c4ff4b7_boundary

Hello All,

I was reading the post from Peter Marmet about the AMM list of meteorites and
couldn't help notice the Melrose meteorite, # 4 on the list.
"The only American meteorite to contain gold".

This meteorite has twice as much gold as what is considered to be "mineable
amounts" ! ( ~.35 grams per ton for Melrose, ~.07g's per ton in ore is
mineable).This is something of a surprise to me, as I was informed not long ago by a
world reknowned representative of the meteorite community,(he's also a man of
the cloth, hint) that there are not any meteorites with gold in them except in
some irons, and they have only trace amounts.

Here's the question(s) ;
Melrose is a chondrite...Does the oxygen isotope match the fractionation line
of the other chondrites? Is it on a line all its own? Or is it on the
terestrial line with the Moon, Earth, and the aubrites? (Aubrites, an entirely
different subject, no less interesting... how are they on the same O2 fractionation
line as Earth and the Moon?)

Have any similar meteorites been found since then, anywhere? Am I to assume
this is the one single example of a particular asteroid?

These observations, and the answers to these questions point to the obvious
fact that we still have a very limited representation of the solar system in
our meteorite collections, and that this science really is still in its
infancy...many more discoveries are waiting in the lab, and in the field. I think that
is part of the mystique that draws me to meteorites. In a world where it
seems as if everything has been invented, documented, or discovered, the science
of meteorites is ripe with opportunities! I think the Melrose meteorite proves
that.

Happy Days & Starry Nights to All !
Larry

--part1_95.307d6e6a.2c4ff4b7_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
Hello All,<BR>
<BR>
I was reading the post from Peter Marmet about the AMM list of meteorites an=
d couldn't help notice the Melrose meteorite, # 4 on the list.<BR>
"The only American meteorite to contain gold".<BR>
<BR>
This meteorite has twice as much gold as what is considered to be&nbsp; "min=
eable amounts" ! ( ~.35 grams per ton for Melrose, ~.07g's per ton in ore is=
 mineable).This is something of a surprise to me, as I was informed not long=
 ago by a world reknowned representative of the meteorite community,(he's al=
so a man of the cloth, hint) that there <I>are not </I>any meteorites with g=
old in them except in some irons, and they have only trace amounts.<BR>
<BR>
Here's the question(s) ;<BR>
Melrose is a chondrite...Does the oxygen isotope match the fractionation lin=
e of the other chondrites? Is it on a line all its own? Or is it on the tere=
strial line with the Moon, Earth, and the aubrites? (Aubrites, an entirely d=
ifferent subject, no less interesting... how are they on the same O2 fractio=
nation line as Earth and the Moon?)<BR>
<BR>
Have any similar meteorites been found since then, anywhere? Am I to assume=20=
this is the one single example of a particular asteroid?<BR>
<BR>
These observations, and the answers to these questions point to the obvious=20=
fact that we still have a very limited representation of the solar system in=
 our meteorite collections, and that this science really is still in its inf=
ancy...many more discoveries are waiting in the lab, and in the field. I thi=
nk that is part of the mystique that draws me to meteorites. In a world wher=
e it seems as if everything has been invented, documented, or discovered, th=
e science of meteorites is ripe with opportunities! I think the Melrose mete=
orite proves that.<BR>
<BR>
Happy Days &amp; Starry Nights to All !<BR>
Larry</FONT></HTML>

--part1_95.307d6e6a.2c4ff4b7_boundary--