[meteorite-list] Fwd: Meteorite particles

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:08 2004

Hi Mike and List Members,

I see you got a letter from officer BeAlert. This whole thing is turning
out to be kind of weird. The three teenagers said they saw dust being
kicked up from the shot-put pit right after witnessing the fireball. I have
no doubt about the fireball because it was witnessed by several people.
There are photographs of the so-called impact craters with the black glass
in them. There is also a photograph of the telephone pole that officer
Bealert removed a piece of this glassy material from. Both photographs were
taken by the Daily World the following morning before the scene was
disturbed.

I do not believe that the glassy material from Elma is meteoritic but it is
weird. We submitted samples to the University of Washington which will be
probed Friday under a SEM. We are leaving town for three days so I will not
be able to report their findings until Monday. We are only analyzing this
stuff to satisfy the people of Elma and others who may be curious.

As for the Iron, it was found about seven miles from Elma while we were
searching for fossils and investigating the sighting. It is weathered and
cannot be connected in any way to the meteor sighting. I ground an edge and
etched it. It has two phases of metal and an odd pattern like that of the
Carver iron. It is not slag, is irregularly shaped and has what looks like
thumb-printing. We will know for sure by Monday if this is the real McCoy,
our fingers are crossed.

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection