[meteorite-list] AD - very special specimen

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:08 2004

Hi All,
        As you know, I RARELY post an ad to the list. However, at this
time I am selling a positively spectacular specimen for someone
out of an OLD collection.
        This is something almost unheard of: a STABLE (huge) slice
of Brenham. This puppy was cut prior to purchase in 1978 and
has been TOTALLY free of ANY degradation whatsoever - and
most definitely free of the dreaded lawrencite (sp?) disease.
However, just in case, and because I am SUCH a cynic when it
comes to Brenham, I shipped it to Jim Hartman (whom I consider
the world's leading expert in stabalizing pallasites and irons)
to put his magic touch to it and give it a stabalizing treatment.
He guarentees stability and will treat it free of charge should the
buyer experience anything other than continued stability
(unlikely after 25 years).
        This thing is over 17 Kg and is 280mm X 375mm X 45mm
(17" X 11" X 1.75"). If ever a specimen qualified as world class
this is it. This is THE slice of Brenham. If there is a larger
example ANYWHERE, I am unaware of it (of course, if the
British Museum or Arizona State or Bob Haag has one, DO
SHOW US ALL A PHOTO - that would be a hoot).
        The seller wants $25K for it (that is less than 1.50 / g) but
an offer not far off would probably be seriously considered.
        In any event, it is a fun thing to see and can be viewed at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/82837054mIOzRO

        Best wishes, Michael