[meteorite-list] Shirokovsky statement from NomCom

From: ltcrose_at_bellsouth.net <ltcrose_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:33 2004

------=____1054578981236_tafb95lTnH

> I have a very small piece.. but it is still beautiful.. And I still love it. But even if it is a meteorwrong...I think it is neat to have a piece of this elaborate hoax. Hmm .. did Yousef find this one?????

Oh well.. You guys know I am crazy anyway.

Rosie
> From: "Adam Hupe" <adamhupe_at_attbi.com>
> Date: 2003/06/02 Mon PM 01:29:45 EDT
> To: <meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com>
> Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Shirokovsky statement from NomCom
>
> Hello Howard and List,
>
> Your question was, what kind of effects would sitting at the bottom of a reservoir have on the Isotope tests?
>
> The technique used at Carnegie is to first etch off the external portions of the test sample with acid. This gets rid of most of the effects caused by weathering. The equipment is then calibrated each time using terrestrial garnets. A laser is then used to vaporize the sample so that the isotopes can separated and measured in a series of long tubes. Usually several test samples of the same material are run to increase accuracy and to recheck results.
>
> If weathering had any kind of an effect on the tests it still would not plot on the terrestrial line unless it was from the Earth or the Moon. The effect would be a blend of both extraterrestrial and terrestrial isotopes plotting somewhere other than the Earth/Moon line. The terrestrial contamination then could be calculated out to find the samples parent body.
>
> As far as the AL26 tests go, there should have been something measurable if this object spent any length of time at all in space.
>
> I am sure scientists have spent enough time on this pseudo meteorite. Too bad this time could not have been spent on the real thing as lab time is very limited and this kind of testing delays other projects.
>
> All the best,
>
> Adam Hupe
> The Hupe Collection
> IMCA 2185

------=____1054578981236_tafb95lTnH

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hello Howard and List,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Your question was, what kind of effects would
sitting at the bottom of a reservoir have on the Isotope tests?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The technique used at Carnegie is to first etch off
the external portions of the test sample with acid.&nbsp; This gets rid of most
of the effects caused by weathering.&nbsp; The equipment is then calibrated each
time using terrestrial garnets.&nbsp; A laser is then used to vaporize the
sample so that the isotopes can separated and measured&nbsp;in a series of long
tubes.&nbsp;Usually several test samples of the same material are run to
increase accuracy and to recheck results.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>If weathering had&nbsp;any kind of an effect on the
tests it still would not plot on the terrestrial line unless it was from the
Earth or the Moon.&nbsp; The effect would be a blend of both extraterrestrial
and terrestrial isotopes plotting somewhere other than the Earth/Moon
line.&nbsp; The terrestrial contamination then could be calculated out to find
the samples parent body.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>As far as the AL26 tests go, there should have been
something measurable&nbsp;if this object spent any length of time at all in
space.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I am sure scientists have spent enough time on this
pseudo meteorite.&nbsp; Too bad this time could not have been spent on the real
thing as lab time is very limited and this kind of testing delays other
projects.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>All the best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Adam Hupe</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The Hupe Collection</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>IMCA 2185</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial
size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV
  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
  <A href="mailto:freewu2000_at_yahoo.com" title=freewu2000@yahoo.com>Howard Wu</A>
  </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A href="mailto:jgrossman_at_usgs.gov"
  title=jgrossman_at_usgs.gov>Jeff Grossman</A> ; <A
  href="mailto:meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com"
  title=meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com>meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com</A>
  </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, June 02, 2003 9:41 AM</DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [meteorite-list] Shirokovsky
  statement from NomCom</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>Here's a weird spin on this. If this rock has been sitting at the bottom
  of a reservoir for half a&nbsp;century as claimed,&nbsp;what effects would
  that have on isotope tests.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Howard Wu<BR><BR><B><I>Jeff Grossman &lt;<A
  href="mailto:jgrossman_at_usgs.gov">jgrossman@usgs.gov</A>&gt;</I></B>
  wrote:</DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE
  style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Hi
    all,<BR><BR>The Nomenclature Committee has issued the following statement on
    the <BR>"Shirokovsky pallasite."<BR><BR><A
    href="http://meteoriticalsociety.org/bulletin/shirokovsky.pdf">http://meteoriticalsociety.org/bulletin/shirokovsky.pdf</A><BR><BR>Much
    of this is based on what many of you have already seen on the Russian
    <BR>web site.<BR><BR>Bottom line: There is at present no evidence other than
    the recovery story <BR>to suggest that this is a meteorite. Mineralogy,
    chemistry, oxygen <BR>isotopes, and noble gases all favor a terrestrial
    origin.<BR><BR>jeff<BR><BR>Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman<BR>Chair, Meteorite
    Nomenclature Committee (Meteoritical Society)<BR>US Geological Survey<BR>954
    National Center<BR>Reston, VA 20192, USA<BR>Phone: (703) 648-6184 fax: (703)
    mailing
    list<BR>Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com<BR>http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list</BLOCKQUOTE>
  <P>
  <P><BR>
  <HR SIZE=1>
  <A
  href="http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=8613/*http://uk.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_plus/?http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/yplus/yoffer.html"><B><FONT
  face=Arial size=2>Yahoo! Plus - For a better Internet
  experience</FONT></B></A><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>