[meteorite-list] Re: Scientists Could Unveil Age Of Odessa Impact Crater

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:33 2004

Ron Posted:

> But at about 20 feet below ground, the doughnut-shaped drill
> bit attached to a long hollow tube in which the core samples
> were being collected struck something so impenetrable that the
> field work came to halt.

I have experienced exactly the same phenomenon, while carrying out my
own "research" in the Odessa crater area.

Of course, my equipment was not as sophisticated as the
Holliday/Kring/Mayer team (pretty much just a Goldmaster and an army
surplus entrenching tool), but my "impenetrable object" turned out to
be one of the many old oil pipes that criss-cross the site. I may not
have made it *quite* 20 feet down either, but who's counting?

I can relate though : )

Geoff N.