[meteorite-list] New meteorite from Georgia???

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:33 2004

I have been dealing for many years and was one of the first to
have a meteorite web site. Therefore, I have had people contacting
me to report "meteorites" they have found - and, in many cases,
"witnessed falls" they have collected for a very long time. In well
over 10 years of this, there have been weeks when I had as many
as three different people in a single week contact me. Of ALL those
contacts, there have been exactly ZERO true meteorites brought
or mailed to me or sent to testing labs by the "finder." Zero, folks.
        One REALLY had me totally convinced and the tester at UNM
convinced, as well, until he tested it. Looked EXACTLY like a true
iron (in this case, from Mongolia). Meteorite NOT, however.
        So, if people are auctioning "meteorites" that have not been
tested by a meteorite lab (I especially love those lab reports from
labs that know nothing about meteorites), then, you would do
better to open a side bet and ALWAYS BET it is NOT a meteorite.
        Now, one of these days, someone is going to bring me the real
thing, that is for sure, but so far, even if the real thing shows up
tomorrow, I would be rich if I had someone to bet with consistently
that what I am having brought to me or mailed to me or just refer
to testing labs is a meteorwrong.
        Best wishes, Michael

on 6/3/03 8:30 AM, Steve Schoner at steve_schoner_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Know the source!
>
> That is the only way.
>
> Steve Schoner
> http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification
>

> --- almitt <almitt_at_kconline.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> By bidding on the item or other items people have
>> that haven't been tested, proven, it
>> rewards those putting on non-meteorites and opens
>> the flood gates for many more. If
>> every other specimen is a meteorwrong, how
>> effectively will be be able to sell items
>> in the future.
>>
>> --AL

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't
always agree with them.
    George Bush
--
Worth Seeing: