[meteorite-list] New meteorites from Georgia/South

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:33 2004

Hi All,

My experiences are also similar to others who have been looking. Unfortunately we are
dealing with people who have no idea what a meteorite is. One of the reasons Nininger
promoted his program the way he did. He would educate people on what meteorites were
(often having someone stop him after his lecture and mentioning a strange stone they
had that might be like what he described) and then he would go back to the region
later and check to see if the seeds of information he had planet sprouted or not. Many
times they would but he also mentioned he often would go into an area that he thought
was good and re-ask the age old questions to get interest re-stirred. No doubt many
times his efforts weren't rewarded.

I (like so many other dealers on the list) have so many colorful tells to tell that we
should all give our ten best stories and put them in a book. My favorite is a tektite
guy who swears that his tektite fell and was red hot, hit a tree. He has made it into
a rather large necklaces he wears at a show I do. He retells the story to me about
each time he see me. I always point out how much it looks like an indochinite which I
usually sell at the shows I do.

--AL