[meteorite-list] Mars Meteorites & Meteorite Museums

From: Teresa Moss <t.moss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:33 2004

Hi all! I am new to this list and new to the field of meteorites! I
am the Director of the Monnig Meteorite Gallery at Texas Christian
University in Fort Worth, Texas. I have a couple of questions that I
hope someone out there can help me with.

First, in our museum we have a piece of a Mars meteorite that we
allow visitors to touch. It is the Dar Al Gani 476, a stone
achondrite (shergottite) found in Libya in 1998. Does anyone know of
anywhere else in the U.S. or elsewhere where the general public can
touch a piece of MARS????

Second, our museum is an educational exhibit. We also do educational
outreach by taking students on tours of the gallery and engaging them
in space related educational activities. Does anyone know of any
other museum that operates in the same or a similar manner to our
museum. I am anxious to contact other people who are responsible for
maintaining a meteorite gallery and educating the public about
meteoritics.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

Teresa Moss
--
Teresa Moss
Director, Monnig Meteorite Gallery